Pajero SWB 04-07

Lillywhite Timber

Hi all , just thinking of changing the trusty old Discovery , the thought occurs annually when the DOE test comes up i find !! .

I have no intention of spending big money as ive just bought a processor and need other pieces of kit worse . Also a vehicle tends to be at the end of its working life when i finish with it !! .

The disco has / is an amazing servant considering i would never have bought it if id believed the reviews , in fact i probably would buy a late (04) td5 if i could find one with less than 110k miles or so .

Ive noticed Mitsubishi Pajeros dont make particularly big money , so anyone had one , experience of them ? , reliability , fuel consumtion , towing stability ???. I believe there are 2.5 , 2.8 and 3.2 models .

Id be very thankful for any feedback ..Thanks

I bought a Pajero 1993 2.5lt in 2001. It was a grey import which came in from Cyprus. Cracking bit of kit. Only had it for a year as we moved to France to live but in the time we had it we never had a problem. I used it to follow hounds, drove to the Highlands from Dorset, then over to central France whilst looking for a house. It never put a foot wrong. On motorway driving when you drove over 60mph it did get a bit thirsty but if driven sensibly, it was remarkably good on fuel consumption. Cross country, excellent, the locking diff was brilliant. All in all I enjoyed driving it.never towed with it but knew someone who did and said it was okay. I have just bought a Renault Koleos which has the running gear of the Nissan Xtrail, only had it a week but impressed already. Got it for my wife after she wrote off the second car in 18 months, hope that this lasts a bit longer.

When I first started out I used a SWB Parjero 2.5 and I absolutely loved it, great solid truck. Used to be able to get it in and out of the woods no problem. Took the back seats out and loads of room for the kit. I still would use it today if the crank shaft pulley had not fallen off, but that's another story altogether! If you can find a good one I would recommend one.

I'm on here too, as I have a LWB 3.2 'Elegance' for towing the caravan....

Mitsubishi Pajero and Shogun Owners Club - Free to join pajero, shogun and montero owners club

I think mk2's are getting thin on the ground now, and the ones you do see may be for sale 'for a reason'....

Usually rust / rot.

The engines though, 'if' looked after will go on fairly well.

The biggest bug bear I have with Mitzi's, is RUST! :thumbdown:

Panels / joins / bolts and bush housings rust and seize BADLY!

If I had to change it tomorrow, I'd go for a pickup now, she's got the 'good' car, mines the tow-er / workhorse.....

had a 2.5 turbo defender for 13 yrs, spent a lot keeping on the road until it got nicked. the only good thing i can say about it is that i got a good insurance pay-out, and bought my first pajero - central locking, immobiliser, electric windows, interval wipers, air-con, AND better off road. i have heard that the jap import (pajero) is built better than the Shogun. they do have some known problems (oil leaks), now on my second one, have changed the fuel filter, and the starter motor, but otherwise defo recommended.

You get more 'toys' on an import too sometimes.....

Not sure if any mk2's or now mk3's are now being imported anyway...??? :confused1:

If you get the chance of an import, service it yourself - change anything 'fluid', and get it undersealed sharpish to prevent the rust even starting as that's usually their downfall....

• 2 weeks later...