Jefferson 10" Miter Saw?

Haironyourchest

Happy New Year everyone! I have a good spread of tools but one gadget I never aquired is a sliding miter saw. Iv done loads of carpentry work without one, but its time to bite the bullet.

The ones locally available for under €350 are the Evolution Rage and Jefferson. Has anyone used a Jefferson miter saw, or any other of their stuff? Any thoughts? Absolutly no reviews for their stuff online - literally zilch. Loads of reviews for the Rage, but they are mixed. The advantage of the Rage Is it will cut mild steel as well. The usual Makita et-al are all available but too pricy.....

The only reason the rage will cut steel is because of the blade supplied. This means it won't give you as good a cut in wood as say a Freud blade but there great for naily timber. My Bro has a rage saw which I've used abd there Ok. In miter saws I rate dewalt more than makita but Festool are awesome but only have a small depth of cut. Never used or seen a jefferson. The rage is good as a diy saw I wouldn't get one for myself as I'm a carpenter amongst other things but it suits my Bro in law just fine

For fine woodwork upgrade the blade and disregard any led guide lights.

The only reason the rage will cut steel is because of the blade supplied. This means it won't give you as good a cut in wood as say a Freud blade but there great for naily timber. My Bro has a rage saw which I've used abd there Ok. In miter saws I rate dewalt more than makita but Festool are awesome but only have a small depth of cut. Never used or seen a jefferson. The rage is good as a diy saw I wouldn't get one for myself as I'm a carpenter amongst other things but it suits my Bro in law just fine

Ive got a festool kapex 120, it actually has one of the best depth of cuts going and can tackle 5" skirting board in a special position about 2" out from the fence. Its an awesome tool but my set up with the wings and trolley cost the best part of 1.3k a few years ago. The dewalts are pretty good as are the top end bosch and makitas, but i wouldn't swap you my festool for all the tea in china.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just Googled it. Scratch my last post. You dan get the saw for around 800 and they do look good. Might be my next mitre saw if I think it will fit on my existing stand. I assume you have no problem cutting and trenching an 8x4?

Edited by muttley9050

Evolution saws run slower in order not to overheat when cutting steel. The teeth are shaped so they take a smaller bite. Better cut than our hitachi but you have to give them time. Never tried a different blade but with the lower rpm even a better blade will still need more time. There are better saws as said above but evolution make reasonable quality and are probably the best of the cheaper machines. Customer service is good too if you have a problem.

Happy New Year everyone! I have a good spread of tools but one gadget I never aquired is a sliding miter saw. Iv done loads of carpentry work without one, but its time to bite the bullet.

The ones locally available for under €350 are the Evolution Rage and Jefferson. Has anyone used a Jefferson miter saw, or any other of their stuff? Any thoughts? Absolutly no reviews for their stuff online - literally zilch. Loads of reviews for the Rage, but they are mixed. The advantage of the Rage Is it will cut mild steel as well. The usual Makita et-al are all available but too pricy.....

If you can get to see one in the flesh check the angles it cuts at with a square. As long as the blade is true at 90º perpendicular to the bed of the saw and the 45º stops are true too and it takes the size of cut you'll be using, you should be ok. After all it's an electric motor driving a blade and if you don't use it all the time, there's no point in spending big money.

Saying that I've got a Makita (can't remember which model) which is nice, but it was pricey though and I've had 10 years of good service from it. 1214L...Just had a look.

Edited by Aunt Maud

the old electra bekham mitre saw is the best ive ever used, a very accurate saw and not a piece of plastic in sight.

used a lot of the new bling type machines and there not a patch on the bekham.

put a aluminium cutting blade in it and you get the finest cut ever, no feathering of the wood your cutting.