Are we actually living in 'The Age of Stupid'?

SteveA

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the sheer level of incompetence and uselessness that beats me these days. I just posted this on another thread but very apt here:

On a slight side note our area was flooded today and the coppers weren't letting cars drive through flood water a foot deep, we had a 4x4 pick up running big wheels which the copper accepted was perfectly capable of going through but his hands were tied. Fair enough.

The real stupidity though was when we offered to tow out a van which had got stuck. The answer was no "as it wasn't in the overall plan" to rescue vehicles!

I remember about 15 years ago a tractor had its empty (small) timber trailer tip over at a roundabout, the coppers just put a rope on to bolster and pulled it back upright. Gave driver a bollocking and sent him on his way. Can you imagine that happening now? No chance, the road would be closed until a crane arrived.. Truly the age of uselessness

So do you think it's more of an 'Age of Denial'?... or something else?

cheers, steve

Yes definetly,if we were to address the issues,radically reduce fossill fuel consumption for a start we could slow climate change.But this would affect us all in a massive way,just looking at fuel for example-not being able to use your vehicle everyday would reduce our ability to make a living wage,for many if not most of us thats bloody scarey.

Its easier to say let the government address the problem but in reality if enough of us got together and applied pressure to ALL the goverments across the globe they would have to do something radical.

We sometimes forget that we vote the government into power knowing there policies on on climate change.

Unfortunatly our current government are under no pressure from us,the voters to do anything substantial to address the problems.

Yes definetly,if we were to address the issues,radically reduce fossill fuel consumption for a start we could slow climate change.But this would affect us all in a massive way,just looking at fuel for example-not being able to use your vehicle everyday would reduce our ability to make a living wage,for many if not most of us thats bloody scarey.

Its easier to say let the government address the problem but in reality if enough of us got together and applied pressure to ALL the goverments across the globe they would have to do something radical.

We sometimes forget that we vote the government into power knowing there policies on on climate change.

Unfortunatly our current government are under no pressure from us,the voters to do anything substantial to address the problems.

Yeah, it's a pretty twisted situation to have a government voted into power on just 26% of the vote share. Feels like it's fixed.

I've often thought we need some serious weather patterns to kick our asses before any lifestyles changes are triggered. Maybe we are at the beginning of that?

cheers, steve

Yeah, it's a pretty twisted situation to have a government voted into power on just 26% of the vote share. Feels like it's fixed.

I've often thought we need some serious weather patterns to kick our asses before any lifestyles changes are triggered. Maybe we are at the beginning of that?

cheers, steve

Agree steve.The way we vote first past the post is antiquated and hugely unfair.The weather in recent years is an indication of just how extreme its going to get,but at what point do we realise its actually "happening now" and get off our arses and do something....

I don't think if I'm honest that we can do much about the climate. I think that we can do our best but ultimately planet earth is not in our control

I dunno, we seem to be pretty good at turning December into t-shirt weather and getting early blooms of daffodils.... even with the odd bluebell starting to show leaves!

....but actually, yeah, if I'm honest with myself things will probably get much worse & spiral out of control.

cheers, Steve

I don't think if I'm honest that we can do much about the climate. I think that we can do our best but ultimately planet earth is not in our control

That's pretty much my feeling Richard, their is documented evidence of massive climate change over the millennia. Why we think crippling western economies to reduce C02 emissions is going to make a big difference is something I can't really grasp.

We could however do something right away about burning rainforest (to meet EU biodiesel rules!), the oceans of plastic floating upon the seas, excessive and wrong development, pollution etc etc.

I dunno, we seem to be pretty good at turning December into t-shirt weather and getting early blooms of daffodils.... even with the odd bluebell starting to show leaves!

....but actually, yeah, if I'm honest with myself things will probably get much worse & spiral out of control.

cheers, Steve

But how are you so sure it's man made C02 emissions that cause this Steve? As previously stated extreme climate swings are widely documented and nothing new