Fmocs - 16 year old

B T

Currently have a 16 year old lad wanting to start with me as an excavator operator for our restock mounding contracts, bulk of our work is on Forest Commission sites (Scotland), FC are saying that he cant due to his age, he would need to be 17. under Fmocs provisional he would be supervised at all times and risk assessments updated to take account of his age. Lad is very keen and mature for his age, Wondering if anyone else has any experience with a 16 year old and FC rules? is what their telling me correct?

Hope have posted this in correct area!!

Thanks

Well you only have to be 16 to take the FMOC through NPTC.

The FC use to have a booklet about young people in forestry but i cant seem to find it. If the FC say its 17 then your going to struggle to get them to budge.

That's what I'm puzzled about that if can take fmoc at 16 then why can't they work on fc site, not sure they are 100% sure themselves and are taking cautious route. Was hoping someone else may have had experience or know of publications as above that may clarify

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One approach you could take is to try to track down a contact for HR at the FC.

We had a stand-off a few years ago between our HR department and our H&S department over minimum age (this was for laboratory-based work). H&S had previously set internal policy that the minimum age for practical work was 17, which they applied to work placement students. We then started taking on apprentices who have a minimum age of 16. H&S kicked off about it, HR told them it was the law so they would have to deal with it. I now have 16yr olds with no problem.

You may find that if you ask HR at the FC whether, in the light of the rules on modern apprenticeships, it is legal to restrict the minimum age to 17, that you get the change in policy you are looking for.

Alec

One approach you could take is to try to track down a contact for HR at the FC.

We had a stand-off a few years ago between our HR department and our H&S department over minimum age (this was for laboratory-based work). H&S had previously set internal policy that the minimum age for practical work was 17, which they applied to work placement students. We then started taking on apprentices who have a minimum age of 16. H&S kicked off about it, HR told them it was the law so they would have to deal with it. I now have 16yr olds with no problem.

You may find that if you ask HR at the FC whether, in the light of the rules on modern apprenticeships, it is legal to restrict the minimum age to 17, that you get the change in policy you are looking for.

Alec

Might be worth a try, going to start chasing them in new year as been getting fobbed off but didn't have time on run up to xmas to keep on their backs.

Cheers

I have just put this query to a forestry group combining some of the UK's largest forestry contractors and the following was the response from one of them and backed up by others....

Fc won't let them work on there land till there 17 and have a driving licence!.

Sorry to disappoint but it was the general consensus.

I have just put this query to a forestry group combining some of the UK's largest forestry contractors and the following was the response from one of them and backed up by others....

Fc won't let them work on there land till there 17 and have a driving licence!.

Sorry to disappoint but it was the general consensus.

Yes bit disappointing, did they give any insight as to why they need to have driving licence if they will be working under supervision with trained operators?

The argument is that if he is working with a trained operator who then has an accident, they have no way of getting that trained operator to a hospital. Also most forestry roads are now classed as public roads so he would need a full license to drive on them.

Don't get me wrong, along with most of them think it's a bit mad and that common sense has gone out the window but that's the way it is. Have had comments on there from Jim Walmer who has as many machines as anyone in Scotland but he says that's the way it is and they won't budget on it. The only way round it is to see if you can get him work on private estates but also to make sure your insurance would cover you for a 16 year old to work on site.