DIY log splitter

welwell

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres a question for you log splitter hydraulic boys. . .

starting to convert my 130 to a tipper, seeing as im off to the local hydraulic bloke to get the power pack mated to the ram soon(they were sourced sepperatly), would it be feesable to have some quick release couplings on the power pack end, then be able to unplug the tipper, and plug in the splitter to run off the tippers hydraulic pack?

the power pack used to run a 2tonne hiab, so presumabally its used to reppitive movements/continious work?

could that work?

shouldnt be too difficult but alot depends on what powerpack you have, some are already designed for double acting rams whilst others are purely single acting (both my hilux tipper and indespension tipper trailer are this) technically all you would have to do it create a return for the fluid into the hydraulic tank to create the circuit. if you got a metal hydraulic tank u could easily drill a hole and tap / weld a union into it then have a pipe to the rear with quick release coupling. if u got a plastic tank u would perhaps have to have the cap modified so u can attach a pipe to that. for the flow i would have a diverter valve on the tipping pipe so you could switch between tipping and auxiallry hydraulics

ok is that simple/do-able without affecting the tipper?

would the basic idea work?

i.e can you power a decent hydraulic log splitter off a tipper?

might kill the batteries a bit quick its easy to have quick release couplers fitted, i had them fitted on my old trailer so i could tip it using the mog,

might kill the batteries a bit quick its easy to have quick release couplers fitted, i had them fitted on my old trailer so i could tip it using the mog,

could i not just keep the vehicle running?

would that power pack be man enough to run a splitter steve?

i'll ask the hydraulic bloke what he reckons when i go see him!

could i not just keep the vehicle running?

would that power pack be man enough to run a splitter steve?

i'll ask the hydraulic bloke what he reckons when i go see him!

the motor may get too hot and also draw more current out than the alternator puts in

you may be able to fit a belt driven hyd pump and tank

(got one of those in my shede complete with an electric clutch so you could switch hydraulics on as and when needed

That's pretty nice Dylan. Did you make it yourself or did you get it fabricated for you??

How quicky do you reckon you could split a transit load on that??

the only bit i didn't do was the final welds on the beam as i haven't a welder big enough.

i fill a bag in 45mins depending on the size of rings