Tree Id help

tree79

I don't follow, the leaves are from the rootstock the way it looks. They look Amelanchier-like. This has occasionally been grafted successfully onto Sorbus, but I don't know about the other way round. Amelanchier buds are Beech-like.

It was the brown leaves which I assume are from the scion, the bark, and the buds that made me think Amelanchier. No idea what the rootstock is, looks more like thorn to me but the pick's not great. They are both Rosaceae so I suppose either could work. I'm no grafting expert but I would think it would make more sense to graft onto thorn than Sorbus. Could be wrong though.

Growing Amelanchier

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com

Fri Nov 6 14:44:27 EST 2009

"Grafting has not been a very satisfactory method of juneberry propagation. Grafts often take on rootstocks of other genera, such as mountain ash, hawthorn, and other members of the rose family, but the grafted plants sometimes stop growing. Stocks generally used have included Cotoneaster acutifolius, C. bullatus, Sorbus intermedia, and S. aucuparia. Amelanchier alnifolia is apparently the juneberry most compatible with other genera. Plant

juneberries grafted onto other genera low enough in the ground to allow the juneberry scion to root. The rootstock, in this case, acts as a temporary nurse root, but may have the unfortunate habit of continually sending up sprouts. Crataegus arnoldiana as a juneberry rootstock reputedly shuns this bad habit.

"Interestingly, one Amelanchier species is not always graft compatible with another. When grafting a juneberry scion onto juneberry roots, choose a nonsuckering clone for roots or you will constantly be finding shoots thrown up from the rootstock.

"Lee Reich, PhD"

It was the brown leaves which I assume are from the scion, the bark, and the buds that made me think Amelanchier. No idea what the rootstock is, looks more like thorn to me but the pick's not great. They are both Rosaceae so I suppose either could work. I'm no grafting expert but I would think it would make more sense to graft onto thorn than Sorbus. Could be wrong though.

It wasn't you I didn't follow, it was the confusing picture appearng to show Amelanchier leaves on a supposed Sorbus stock. We posted almost simultaneously.

Growing Amelanchier

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com

Fri Nov 6 14:44:27 EST 2009

"Grafting has not been a very satisfactory method of juneberry propagation. Grafts often take on rootstocks of other genera, such as mountain ash, hawthorn, and other members of the rose family, but the grafted plants sometimes stop growing. Stocks generally used have included Cotoneaster acutifolius, C. bullatus, Sorbus intermedia, and S. aucuparia. Amelanchier alnifolia is apparently the juneberry most compatible with other genera. Plant

juneberries grafted onto other genera low enough in the ground to allow the juneberry scion to root. The rootstock, in this case, acts as a temporary nurse root, but may have the unfortunate habit of continually sending up sprouts. Crataegus arnoldiana as a juneberry rootstock reputedly shuns this bad habit.

"Interestingly, one Amelanchier species is not always graft compatible with another. When grafting a juneberry scion onto juneberry roots, choose a nonsuckering clone for roots or you will constantly be finding shoots thrown up from the rootstock.

"Lee Reich, PhD"

Interesting post. :thumbup1:

Hi the brown leaf is from the Crown this photo is off the root stock

Ahh fair enough, that does look Sorbus. Although by some perversion of nature (as I noted this summer on a 200 tree survey involving a lot of Sorbus) Whitebeam bears suckering leaves like yours that if you found them in the crown you would safely take to be Swedish Whitebeam or Bastard Service.