Ride on mower recommendations please

cornish wood burner

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a little Stiga Ready and not blown away to be honest. Struggles with anything but short dry grass and had lots of issues with bearings in the deck and also the deck height thing which I have now bodged up.

Idea of a mulching mower is great but after a month of rain you really want to collect it up and put it in the compost, not leave a horrendous mess over your lawn which takes 2 weeks to clear / re-mow.

I have a little Stiga Ready and not blown away to be honest. Struggles with anything but short dry grass and had lots of issues with bearings in the deck and also the deck height thing which I have now bodged up.

Idea of a mulching mower is great but after a month of rain you really want to collect it up and put it in the compost, not leave a horrendous mess over your lawn which takes 2 weeks to clear / re-mow.

'Mulching' is a much misunderstood subject.

It is ideal for regular cutting of short, dry grass, where it will leave a much better finish than a comparatively sized collector mower and finish the job in about a third of the time.

But so often, mulching mowers are used in the wrong situations by the wrong customers and the concept will then be unfairly maligned.

I have now sold mulching mowers for over 25years. That's 25 cutting seasons, and every year has been different. So I have accumulated a lot of experience which I pass on to prospective customers.

I ask the right questions of my customers, but if I get the wrong answers I will always steer folk away from a mulcher, but I still sell many more mulchers than collectors.

Prospective mulcher customers should ideally have an area of grass that they want to keep well manicured and are happy (and able) to cut when the grass needs cutting, which may be as often as every 3 days in fast growth conditions, but usually once a week is average.

People who hate cutting grass and only cut it when the have lost the cat should avoid a mulcher. The idea appeals to their lazy side, as they want to get the job over with the minimal effort, but the machine will be overloaded, belts will wear and the finish will be rubbish. If they don't mind a rubbish finish then a side discharge machine will be a better bet long term.

Otherwise they should have a collector but be prepared to take much longer and have a massive pile of grass, but a tidy, albeit, yellow lawn.

I understand the comment about not being able to cut because of the rain, but to be honest, in 25 years of mulching my own lawn in damp Devon this has never posed a problem. Sure, sometimes I have cut in the damp, or even in the rain, but the key is to keep it down. If the grass gets ahead then it will be a difficult task with a horrendous finish when you do get around to it.

In my experience the very best mulch finish is achieved with a Stiga, there is no other machine to touch them for finish or quality. But Stereos Villa Ready is an old machine, and was the smallest, cheapest machine in the range and only designed for smallish lawns. The bearings were an issue, but are now vastly uprated, and the height lever was OK but prone to accidental damage which caused issues.

My lawn at home has never looked better since buying a mulcher so I totally agree with your comments Barrie. Personally I would never go back to a collector.

I can see price is going to be an issue for the company so I expect compromises will need to be made.

If you decide to go for a dedicated mulcher at work, and forget the collection kit you may well be able to buy within budget.

You will need to keep running over the grass but it will look fantastic!

About Mulching - Garden Kit | Garden Tips | Garden Machinery -

This one is too small for your work, but will suit someone

used Stiga Villa 14 HST with 95Combi deck

If you decide to go for a dedicated mulcher at work, and forget the collection kit you may well be able to buy within budget.

You will need to keep running over the grass but it will look fantastic!

About Mulching - Garden Kit | Garden Tips | Garden Machinery -

This one is too small for your work, but will suit someone

used Stiga Villa 14 HST with 95Combi deck

Thats exactly what we decided today. Diesel mulcher diff lock or even better 4wd

The iseki range looks interesting with front decks and 4wd as choices. Presumably they mulch ok.