Stihl MS231 running bad

AshdownForestLogs

maybe there was nothing wrong with the carb in the first place

That is of course absolutely possible, but there is a problem somewhere or this thread would not exist!

I asked the question as I see loads of machines that customers have already tried to fix. They may say " I have done this" or "done that", or "My neighbour who is a an engineer has had a look at it"

Sadly, often what has been done has not been done well.

thats the point i was trying to make the OP said that the saw had a lack of power had the carb cleaned and still the same

i always look at other options first

ive know albeit a strimmer to have lack of power due to a clogged up fuel filter

Ah, yes, I see your point.

Its all very well for us to try to diagnose problems on the forum, but we can often be way off course. There is no substitute for having the machine on the bench and seeing, hearing, feeling the problem first hand.

Thanks for everyones replies.

I cleaned the carb myself, not a professional by any means. The trouble is that the saw is not worth enough to warrant taking it in to someone to look it. May as well leave it on the shelf for spares.

I'll check out the fuel lines and other bits people have mentioned, any tips on carb cleaning would be gratefully received. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for everyones replies.

I cleaned the carb myself, not a professional by any means. The trouble is that the saw is not worth enough to warrant taking it in to someone to look it. May as well leave it on the shelf for spares.

I'll check out the fuel lines and other bits people have mentioned, any tips on carb cleaning would be gratefully received. Thanks again everyone!

I usually check the gauze strainer by removing it and inspecting it under a light and eye glass, they can sometimes look clean but have dried scum in the open areas.

The diaphragm cover gets removed, wood chip can gather under the cover on some saws, the metering arm etc gets some carb cleaner and compressor blast. I reassemble the pump section and pressure check, if it leaks the needle gets removed, inspected, cleaned and returned then retested.

I remove the H&L screws, get some carb cleaner followed by GT85 down the holes and then returned.

If the above fails then I have a couple of 100W heated ultrasonic cleaners I use with specific carb cleaner and this is good to deep clean them if necessary.

If you don't understand the above then get someone else to do it!