Tree seeds - places to buy?

I'd like to grow a few more trees from seed long term, to plant up an acre or so and possibly to grow replacements for a few acres of ash. Although I'm used to growing trees and shrubs from seed I've had fairly variable results from bought seed.

So, can anyone recommend a good place to buy tree and shrub seeds from? A good selection of broadleaf and conifer would be a bonus.

Chilterns seeds used to do a huge range of worldwide varieties. I have had success with them.

I did chat to a nurseryman a couple of seasons ago about buying in seed. He preferred to collect his own as fresh really is best.

Many of our trees in this country do drop and grow before the calendar year is out. Oak,conkers and most nuts.

Yes, I've found the fresher the better with most seeds (trees and veg etc). I'll collect the stuff I can but I'd like to grow a few more unusual ones and it's not always easy to collect local seed from some common trees as well.

We've used Chiltern Seeds for veg so defiantly look at them for trees as well thanks.

For the last two years I have been climbing and collecting seeds for a company called forest start. So far we have done Coastal Redwoods, Giant Redwoods, Douglas fir, Aspen and Japanese Cedar seeds. Just for 2-4 weeks a year. They do a huge range of seeds but expect they may only sell in bulk to nurseries who germinate and sell of for forestry re-planting.

Welcome to Forestart - The premier suppliers of quality tree, shrub and wildflower seed in Britain

I would give anybody a try that you fancy. Keep records and update us. Even ebay because if it's fresh from someone's garden they should be good. Now is the time for many seeds before they dry out.

The way I would go about it is get what's available this year then get what us around next year etc. things like beech are known to crop well once in so many years. Go with the flow.