Which Echo machines do you use?

Mark_Skyland

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does look like Echo machines are more popular than a lot of people realise!

Charlieh, sounds good, I will have a look at what we can do. Cheers

The truth is Echo have been around for years, I didn't list it as it's no longer a current model but I also have my fathers old Echo CS-701S-VL, the user manual is dated 1975.

Echo have been making saws since the late 60's which is as far as I know pretty much the same as Husqvarna and I'm pretty certain the Japanese know how to build a 2-stroke engine. They're hardly an unknown quantity unless you happen to wear blinkers.

I bought my first Echo in 1999, altho used one from 1994; the HC2300 hedgecutter; still in perfect condition, starts on the second pull after years of not being started. Doesn't see a lot of use as I treasure it so much, I use a newer one in case I hurt it! This from the days of Echo GB in Oxford, pre Yamabiko, pre Countax agency. Wonderful days.

Long live Kioritz!

I currently own the CS-590 and CS-271T Echo saws... all my others are Stihl saws. I can't say anything bad about the Echos. The little tophandle I just recently bought because it was considerably cheaper than the MS-150T Stihl that I was considering. Starts up right off, runs great. Lighter than my Stihl tophandle saws (although a tad heavier than the MS-150T) and I'm growing rather fond of the little thing. Cannon bar is available for it, and I run Stihl chain on it. Kept the original bar and chain for backup.

Echo have been on the go for decades, and have literally made millions of small engined machines according to my local echo dealer. America tried to ban them from selling in the USA as they were out selling the home made stuff. American government said they couldn't sell there unless they opened up a US factory, echo refused as all their equipment is made in Japan and they don't trust anyone else to make their stuff to a high enough standard. they were prepared to turn away millions of pounds in business rather than let someone produce a sub standard unit in their name. The Americans struck a deal eventually whereby the machines could be assembled in America, but the components were made in Japan. They are the only manufacturer who doesn't have domestic/professional grades, as in only one standard which is the best they can make. This is all according to the local echo dealer, though he is also the local dealer for husky, tanaka etc. As for my own experiences, I owned a HCA 2400 long reach hedge trimmer which is the most reliable hedge trimmer I have ever owned, I also have a couple of PB650 back pack leaf blowers which are brilliant machines. Apparently they also make great saws!

Echo have been on the go for decades, and have literally made millions of small engined machines according to my local echo dealer. America tried to ban them from selling in the USA as they were out selling the home made stuff. American government said they couldn't sell there unless they opened up a US factory, echo refused as all their equipment is made in Japan and they don't trust anyone else to make their stuff to a high enough standard. they were prepared to turn away millions of pounds in business rather than let someone produce a sub standard unit in their name. The Americans struck a deal eventually whereby the machines could be assembled in America, but the components were made in Japan. They are the only manufacturer who doesn't have domestic/professional grades, as in only one standard which is the best they can make. This is all according to the local echo dealer, though he is also the local dealer for husky, tanaka etc. As for my own experiences, I owned a HCA 2400 long reach hedge trimmer which is the most reliable hedge trimmer I have ever owned, I also have a couple of PB650 back pack leaf blowers which are brilliant machines. Apparently they also make great saws!

I think it was in the US that the Echo name was allocated; prior to that in Japan it was (and still is as major share of Yamabiko) Kioritzu or Kioritz for short. Neck and neck with Kawasaki for sheer 2-stroke quality :thumbup1:

ECHO Incorporated was founded in Northbrook, IL, in 1972 as Kioritz Corporation of America. It was officially established under its present name in 1978. The company originally was an importer of high-performance 2-cycle engines and hand-held products manufactured by Kioritz Corporation of Japan.

Company History, Technology Firsts, Outdoor Power Equipment Leader | ECHO USA

The 1st saw to be branded as Echo was released in 1963 in Japan, the Echo CS-80, the name was changed to Kioritz Echo in 1971.

The history on the american Echo website refers to Echo Inc, the company set up in the USA to initially import Echo products.

Echo history Here

Echo CS-80, 1963 on Youtube.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by R Mac

I'm after a new larger saw would anyone recommend the cs8002? Is it in any way comparable to the ms660/661 or will I be very disappointed?

Also, what does the 620sx run like on a 24" bar?

Funny you should bring this up now. We bought a new 8002 earlier this year but I only used it for the first time yesterday. MS460/461 is my benchmark but I was very impressed with the 8002, a mere 3.5cc more and on paper less powerful. Ours in on a 28" and it will be typical echo years before it runs in and develops more power but it was quite revvy and keen. Built like a battleship :thumbup1:

59766eb6da3fe_WP_20151216_14_43_58_Pro1.jpg.d0ee2770271f5efe47a679ffc46bea1c.jpg

59766eb6d77d8_WP_20151216_14_43_47_Pro1.jpg.d0b6d55ca3ae16db690232edf5b0ff94.jpg