Usual chainsaw question.

Midge

Quite correct, wonder where you all got this rule from:blushing::001_rolleyes::lol:

To be fair the first time I was reminded of this formula was from Steve ( spud ) a few years back . . I had heard it before in the distant past but had been lost from my armory of snippets over time :001_smile:

Edited by Stubby

All

Optimum - The point at which the condition, degree, or amount of something is the most favorable.

This may be the wrong term - apologies if so, this was something I was told a good few years back.

An 18" bar on my 45cc saw is TBH a fairly dull combination but provides extra reach for going into a Leylandi hedge if the stems arent too thick & your next saw up is a bit on the heavy side for example.

A 14" bar seems a good size for cutting speed v useable bar length (to me) hence the term 'optimum'

N

The time has come to actually choose what saw I'm having. The 3 options are now....

1) ECHO CS 420-ES, 18" bar, second hand

2) Stihl ms 181C-BE, 14 or 16" bar, brand new

3) Husqvarna 236, 14" bar, brand new

If it was your choice which would you go for?

I'm swaying more towards the ECHO then the other two. I do have experience with both stihl and Husky saws but the stihl is the least powerful of the 3, and im not really impressed with the stihls we have at work (ms 211 iirc)

Again the husky isn't as powerful as the ECHO but I actually did my chainsaw course with husky saws so know more mechanical wise about these then the others! Though I would image most saws are similar with the way they are set out and need maintaining.

If you choose the 181, stay clear of the 'quick chain tensioning' model. As they're ok when new but seem to wear quickly, leading to a self slackening. Also, Stihl "recommend" a 12" or 14" or 16" bar. Reckon it was be sluggish on 16".

If you have no worries about doing your own maintenance, then a s'hand saw is not a problem. I'd go for the Echo and its extra oomph. But a 40cc saw on 18" is pushing the bounds of reality. I'd say 13" to be quick and 15" at a reasonable max. Though Husky might be the cheapest initial price.

Edited by TGB

The time has come to actually choose what saw I'm having. The 3 options are now....

I'm swaying more towards the ECHO then the other two. I do have experience with both stihl and Husky saws but the stihl is the least powerful of the 3, and im not really impressed with the stihls we have at work (ms 211 iirc)

Again the husky isn't as powerful as the ECHO but I actually did my chainsaw course with husky saws so know more mechanical wise about these then the others! Though I would image most saws are similar with the way they are set out and need maintaining.

Do you have a compression gauge?

If you do check the compression on the Echo.

As its easy start its like pulling a bit of elastic to start it.

Mine was new in 2012 & has 150psi.

The manual quotes i think 127psi.

Its a really decent small saw.

Not needed one part for it.

Cheers TGB, the model I was looking at did have the quick chain tensioning feature. And with the ECHO I would probably change the bar to a smaller size.

No I don't have a compression gague, in fact I have no chainsaw tools or spare parts at present. Can get 2-stroke oil and chain oil from work but will definitely be getting my own supplies and spare bars, chains etc once I have said saw.

Its certainly between the ECHO and Husky now, like the extra power of the ECHO but like the fact that the Husky will be brand new. Also get a free starter kit with the husky. Keep helping me!!

Just had another look at the specs. on the Stihl & Husky. Something to bear in mind - the vibration of the H'236 is far lower than that of the S'181.

236 = Left 2.1, Right 2.7

181 = Left 4.0, Right 3.7

Echo - I can't find any ref. to either vibration or level of db on the Echos.

If it was me,id get the echo and buy a 14" bar for it.jmo though!

Others will differ

If it was me, i'd get the echo and buy a 14" bar for it.jmo though! Others will differ

:thumbup1:

Just what I was thinking, so long as comp is good and a pull on the starter should give you some idea.

They are actually listed in order of my preference as the 181 is quite a good little saw whilst the 236 isn't exactly Huskies best.

N

Edited by NFG