chipper blades

maxi

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

changing Timberwolf blades including those stupid bolts , must rate as the most stupid thing of the last century!

Has anyone dropped a nut or worse blade? I dropped a nut a few years ago, got it out with a magnet on a wire gizmo, god help anyone who dropps a blade, cuz they're going to be in for a lot of spanner work!

This is by far the biggest design fault on the Timberwolf

We sell Saturn blades for TW. Will say only for TW only tho.

Why?

Well Bobs right. The blade is one of the most important parts in a chipper. Years of testing goes on to get them just right. I've seen pattern blades shatter in testing and there are different makes of all types out there. Some good some bad. I am in a position to no about Saturns history and have seen destruction testing of their blades compared with genuine on TW's own testing equipment. Lets just say the results satisfy me enough to sell them with confidence.

Other blades i'm not to sure about. TW and saturn blades are made out of Uddeholm Chipper Steel. Machining and heat treatment are identical. Not all chipper manufactures make their blades from this steel and on larger bladed machines I have seen the blades delaminate and break so i am still cautious.

To answer the original thread

anyone bought tw blades from saturn knives . are they any good?

You won't notice any difference. Apart from the price that is.

Can you recommend them for my Premier(Schliesing). Is there a good price difference between the Saturn and Schliesing blade? I'd like to save money too!

Can you recommend them for my Premier(Schliesing). Is there a good price difference between the Saturn and Schliesing blade? I'd like to save money too!

Thanks Sky!

Mike as dealer do you use and sell Saturn blades for Schliesing? What's the cost difference between Saturn and 'orig'? My mate runs Vermeers and he's interested as well. Do Saturn make Vermeer blades and would you recommend those? Thanks!

As the Schliesing distributor we are contracted to only supply genuine schliesing blades. Genuine Schliesing blades are not Udderholm chipper steel so are different to Saturns pattern ones. That said many schliesing / premier owners do use them and i have yet to hear of a failure in normal use.

changing Timberwolf blades including those stupid bolts , must rate as the most stupid thing of the last century!

Has anyone dropped a nut or worse blade? I dropped a nut a few years ago, got it out with a magnet on a wire gizmo, god help anyone who dropps a blade, cuz they're going to be in for a lot of spanner work!

This is by far the biggest design fault on the Timberwolf

I know I'm going off on a tangent, but the Greenmech disc blade system is superb. Apart from the fact that they seem to be far less suseptible to damage, and therefore stay sharp longer, they are an absolute doddle to take in and out. One large 19mm nut on the back of each disc to slacken off, with a 10mm allen key in the front just to hold it still. Had a Timberwolf before, what a nightmare! An allen key alone is not good enough to be tightening a bolt to 110 ft/lbs, or whatever it is.

As the Schliesing distributor we are contracted to only supply genuine schliesing blades. Genuine Schliesing blades are not Udderholm chipper steel so are different to Saturns pattern ones. That said many schliesing / premier owners do use them and i have yet to hear of a failure in normal use.

Thanks Mike, glad I asked! If Saturn are using different steel to the manufacturers, don't fancy it.

Do they do this (different steel) with others blades they offer like the Vermeer? Sorry to trouble you but you've obviously got the inside track on really important info!

Thanks Mike, glad I asked! If Saturn are using different steel to the manufacturers, don't fancy it.

Do they do this (different steel) with others blades they offer like the Vermeer? Sorry to trouble you but you've obviously got the inside track on really important info!

Can't confirm material Vermeer use as I don't know. As a rule most american machines don't use Udderholm. I would speak to Simon at Saturn. He will have users you can speak to and I'm sure he will be helpful.