echo *CS-390ESX experience

geoff

Well I picked mine up, got a good deal, £370, with a gallon of aspen, and they provided mine with the 15 inch bar.

Gave the saw an hour of logging, it's very nice in the hand, feels very well built, and looks it too, it's still a tight saw, but I am impressed with how it cuts, I thought it would be all revs and no torque at the cc it is, but no, it's got guts, I think I'm going to like this saw, more to come when it's got a few miles on the clock.

Well I picked mine up, got a good deal, £370, with a gallon of aspen, and they provided mine with the 15 inch bar.

Gave the saw an hour of logging, it's very nice in the hand, feels very well built, and looks it too, it's still a tight saw, but I am impressed with how it cuts, I thought it would be all revs and no torque at the cc it is, but no, it's got guts, I think I'm going to like this saw, more to come when it's got a few miles on the clock.

I quite fancy one myself,Might flog my 420 to a friend that's keen on it & get a 390.

Thing is my 420 is superb so i dunno,Will be going to my local dealer to have a look @ one.

I seen that the chain tensioner is on the front off the 390,How is access to that?.

Seen a new release on shindaiwa website a 501sx looks identical to the 390 in shape/style.

501sx501sx | ???????? | YAMABIKO CORPORATION

The chain tensioner is angled, so it is a doddle to get to, chain oil adjust easy too, tick over screw also,

Seems a well thought out saw from my brief experience, it pulls the 15 inch bar well, I can feel a nice sugi bar coming on, I think it will be one fast snedding saw with a short light bar.

• Like 1

The saw has only had three or four tanks full through it, bit it has loosened up a bit, a few lads have used it, and all are impressed with its handling, and in the cut, for the capacity it is a lively thing with some mid range grunt too, starts without a thought, and is frugal on fuel.

We have been taking down some mid sized oaks, and it is not struggling with timber up to about 14 inch diameter, and that on the semi chisel chain they come with, a nice full chisel and a bit more time to bed in and I think ot will be outstanding, a bit like an ms200 rear handle, with all or more go in it, remember I'm running a 15 inch bar.

I seen that the chain tensioner is on the front off the 390,How is access to that?.

Seen a new release on shindaiwa website a 501sx looks identical to the 390 in shape/style.

501sx501sx | ???????? | YAMABIKO CORPORATION

I actually prefer the tensioner in the front. It means I can remove and clean the clutch cover if needs be without removing or slacking the B&C, and is much easier to hang large long bars on a saw with. It helps more on the larger saws, though.

And it should look a lot like the Shindaiwas. It IS a Shindaiwa, afterall. This line started life as a 452, if I recall. Then became the 500/502 series SHinnies and Echos, then again a 452. They recently came out with the 501 series which appears to be on the same chassis, but with that big a top end, I can only guess it is a strato version. Same chassis for them all far as I can tell. So the Echo 500P is a bit of a hotrod at 49cc on this chassis. It is the lightest 50cc saw out there., coming in at the same weight the Stihl MS241 is.

The 390 has had some work now, on the 15 inch bar, it a screamer, with good torque too, really starting to bed in and perform well above its weight.

A few of the lads have been picking it up as a choice, if you want a very fast and light snedding saw, that starts easy, you would be silly not to look at one, it was far from overwhelmed dicing up a 17 inch acer trunk today, and was not more than a few seconds behind a newish ms261, I'm running an oregon full chisel, that works better than the semi it comes with.

It's bog stock with the spark arester in place.

The 390 has had some work now, on the 15 inch bar, it a screamer, with good torque too, really starting to bed in and perform well above its weight.

A few of the lads have been picking it up as a choice, if you want a very fast and light snedding saw, that starts easy, you would be silly not to look at one, it was far from overwhelmed dicing up a 17 inch acer trunk today, and was not more than a few seconds behind a newish ms261, I'm running an oregon full chisel, that works better than the semi it comes with.

It's bog stock with the spark arester in place.

Take it the gauze is getting ditched soon tho?. I so want one of these...

Take it the gauze is getting ditched soon tho?. I so want one of these...

I suppose it should be, but in all honesty it is so good as it is I might not bother, then again....

The saw starts and warms up quite quickly, and has picked it's heals up after about half a gallon of aspen has been through it, the oiler and tick over screws can be adjusted with your thumb nail with ease, chain adjust screw is a doddle, and the saw feels 'built' in the hand, I'm sure you will love it if you get one, everyone who has used it picks it up again with a smile.:thumbup1: