diagnosis

openspaceman

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wishing to be controversial or lambasting my mate Barrie, we all have different ways of working and ways of doing business.........I have done a significant amount of repairs to seized machines with only one ever coming back and believe that this was just a case of the saw bedding in a bit fast and over-revving and not being picked up by the operator. Even this has now been fixed again!

The bottom ends tend to take a fair amount of abuse due to the nature and size of the bearings but do check them for play and smoothness before reassembling.

I have had one machine that actually bent its rod when it seized but even managed to straighten that using some VERY unconventional methods and it ran OK afterwards.

Some saws deposit a lot of aluminium if they still run poorly after seizing. These can be touch and go but as long as the mains are flushed and show no sign of being "catchy" then it is worth a punt IMO.

The bottom line on this sort of repair is to Pressure and Vac test all machines that have failed ensuring the crank seals, impulse line, manifold and ALL sealing surfaces are airtight. I also check the fuel line and carb ensuring it is clean, in good condition and then tach the machine so the saw is known to be good - I guess this is why I have a higher level of success than many less stringent techs.

Each man to his own, I know what works for the guys that send their machines to me and think the result is proof that it works.:thumbup:

Sorry Barrie, just my own opinion:blushing:

Sorry for the delay in my reply Steve, but I could not find my dictionary. Now I know the meaning of 'Lambasting' I can reply properly:001_tongue:

I agree totally that we all have different ways of working and adopt methods that suit our business model. Over the years I have become maybe a little too fussy and tend to only offer repairs that I am 100% happy with. This usually involves the use of only genuine parts as I have often found pattern parts to be inferior, and I mean parts across the whole spectrum of my business, not just saws.

The brands that we are direct dealers for insist on the use of genuine parts in service and repair work on all their kit, so this ties in nicely with my ethics.

I am quite aware that this approach to work can make some of my repairs more costly than those done by some others, and I am more than happy to let jobs go if the customer wants a cheaper option. But my way works for me as proven by the constantly busy workshop.

I certainly intend no slur on those who offer this alternative service as long as they do the job properly, and I know that you do a great job. I have even contemplated putting some of my work your way when the customer wants a cheaper job done than I offer. If you ever take this up as your day job you may find packages from me on your doorstep!

Keep up the good work and keep an eye out for the TNT lorry.

There is room for us all!

Sorry for the delay in my reply Steve, but I could not find my dictionary. Now I know the meaning of 'Lambasting' I can reply properly:001_tongue:

I agree totally that we all have different ways of working and adopt methods that suit our business model. Over the years I have become maybe a little too fussy and tend to only offer repairs that I am 100% happy with. This usually involves the use of only genuine parts as I have often found pattern parts to be inferior, and I mean parts across the whole spectrum of my business, not just saws.

The brands that we are direct dealers for insist on the use of genuine parts in service and repair work on all their kit, so this ties in nicely with my ethics.

I am quite aware that this approach to work can make some of my repairs more costly than those done by some others, and I am more than happy to let jobs go if the customer wants a cheaper option. But my way works for me as proven by the constantly busy workshop.

I certainly intend no slur on those who offer this alternative service as long as they do the job properly, and I know that you do a great job. I have even contemplated putting some of my work your way when the customer wants a cheaper job done than I offer. If you ever take this up as your day job you may find packages from me on your doorstep!

Keep up the good work and keep an eye out for the TNT lorry.

There is room for us all!

Cheers Barrie, the business will infact be going full time in the New Year, just not made an announcement about it yet but you are more than welcome to pop some of the higher value kit over that you don't like the look of, it is my stable diet:001_rolleyes: just not too much please.

So you found Ye Olde English Dictionary for Ye Olde Words did you:lol:

Cheers Barrie, the business will infact be going full time in the New Year, just not made an announcement about it yet but you are more than welcome to pop some of the higher value kit over that you don't like the look of, it is my stable diet:001_rolleyes: just not too much please.

So you found Ye Olde English Dictionary for Ye Olde Words did you:lol:

Well, you have now Steve:big grin:

Good luck with this Steve, I know we have talked about this before, but its great to see it actually happening for you. The shorter commute will tai a bit of getting used to!

Well, you have now Steve:big grin:

Good luck with this Steve, I know we have talked about this before, but its great to see it actually happening for you. The shorter commute will tai a bit of getting used to!

I joke with the wife about the traffic on the stairs being a little heavy, not going to miss the trawl around the M25 or the idiots on the roads I use. I am looking forward to it and get enjoyment from turning a busted and broken bit of kit in to a working tool which will make money for years to come.