Britain Hating Ideology

DanClimbsTrees

All good and well Kevin.

Your a lot smarter wordsmith than myself. I'll have ago back mind.

This lady is educated to degree standard. Admittedly she only works part time for the company that Mrs Egg works for. She is also a Hair Dresser and works evenings and weekends to make things add up.

I just can't see how someone working two jobs is still struggling to pay for child care, so she can go to work! when big business are making millions in profit every year.

I'm sure There are spunkers out there, but she doesn't seem to be one.

That's just how I write Eggs. Don't hold it against me! Doesn't mean it will make sense - especially when I'm thinking quicker than writing!!

There are big profitable companies that (appear to) have dedicated, motivated, satisfied staff at all levels - to be fair, I could only think of 3 off the top of my head - John Lewis, M&S & Waitrose. Not sure if there is any corporate linkage between them and my assessment of staff satisfaction is only based on a fairly limited / anecdotal knowledge. But things like staff shares, discount purchases, shared profit dividend seem to result in a workforce that is feeling valued and in a relationship where shared endeavour equates to shared benefit. That seems to work and perhaps it would be good if more companies were geared towards staff moral.

There have been more than enough threads about arb employers / employees on here. Some people just wake up, get dressed, go to work for the allotted time, do as they are told, pack up, go home, and others that live, breath, eat, drink and sometimes sleep (or have lack of it) because they are not just going to work but living the work they do. Each to their own - what works for 1 might not work for another.

I don't know what the answer to your original question is - other than to say perhaps, these days, more people have aspirations that exceed their income than at any previous time in recent history? And perhaps more people think it's somebody else's fault rather than attempting to readjust their personal aspiration?

I heard a radio interview of a woman complaining how unfair it was that tax credits were being adjusted and that it would make it difficult for her to pay her mortgage. I mean, really? WTF does she think will happen when interest rates jump 5/10/15% (it's only a short while (relatively) since they were at those levels. Who's fault is it going to be when she defaults on her mortgage? Her's for massively over committing beyond her means or 'the system's' for an interest rate change?

I 'get' what you're saying fella, I don't know the answer.... Other than to say, people have got to live within their means and that might be as simple as getting a grip on unrealistic aspirations. Having a benefit cap at, what is it 23-25k, jeez, and they're still complaining? Look at the average wage in Cornwall -

The annual earnings in Cornwall split into gender is:

Earnings for males averaged £21,085, 78% of the UK average. Up by 3.8% on 2013.

Earnings for females averaged £14,102, 82% of the UK average. Down by 0.4% on 2013.

Full-time workers averaged £22,012, 81% of the UK total, part-time workers £8,633, 96% of the UK total.

The weekly and hourly wage in Cornwall:

Average weekly earnings totalled £320.9, 77% of the UK average, full-time £425.7 and part-time £150.4.

Average hourly earnings totalled £9.11, 79% of the UK average.

Cornwall’s Average Wage | Cllr Andrew Wallis

I think there is a national scandal that is housing benefit paid by the 'system' to private landlords that are achieving high % return on their property investments. It's a tough call but, pass a law that prevents current tenants being evicted, reduce housing benefit to a sensible (sustainable) level.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it victim culture Eggs? Somebody elses' fault? Somebody elses' responsibility? Rather than a situation that that individual needs to address?

The company must be paying (at least) the national minimum wage? The individual's problem with that is that the company is not paying enough to satisfy the "life needs" of that person.

This could be overcome by either:

- the person taking more work at the same rate

- upgrading / improving skills so as to increase income capacity

- move to other employment that better values (pays for) her skills

- increase income by decreasing outgoing (adjust life style to fit within available funds)

And it's the last point which highlights the over generous nature of the current social security system - that it might be seen as a viable option instead of work clearly identifies that it is too good to be true and perpetuates dependance.

It's perfectly natural for people to want what is beyond their capacity to achieve. I do it most days! It's the essence of capitalist aspiration. It's what they choose to do about it that matters. Moan, blame 'the system', steal..... or graft and save until they can reach what they want?

I've avoided the key issue (I think) you have an ideological issue with and that's the profit level of the company in comparison to the employee's salary?

It doesn't seem fair I agree. But who owns the solution the person that wants more or the person that has more?

For 22 months from beginning of 2009 I was unemployed (1st and hopefully last time). Me, my wife, 2 kids one just newborn. Yes my mortgage interest was covered (not until substantial arrears built up tho) but otherwise I got £50/week to pay for food, electric, gas and all else ( including 20% council tax) - now where is this bloody incentive not to work then? Cos if you think you can happily cover all expenditure apart from the roof over your head for a family of 4 then hats off to ya! I hear this twaddle about people getting nearly as much on the dole as people in work and it's utter drivel - I had to live thru it and it damned near killed me.

I think there is a national scandal that is housing benefit paid by the 'system' to private landlords that are achieving high % return on their property investments. It's a tough call but, pass a law that prevents current tenants being evicted, reduce housing benefit to a sensible (sustainable) level.

Your suggesting that a wealthy bunch of individuals should shaft another bunch of wealthy individuals at the same time taking the care to ensure some poorer individuals don't suffer?

For 22 months from beginning of 2009 I was unemployed (1st and hopefully last time). Me, my wife, 2 kids one just newborn. Yes my mortgage interest was covered (not until substantial arrears built up tho) but otherwise I got £50/week to pay for food, electric, gas and all else ( including 20% council tax) - now where is this bloody incentive not to work then? Cos if you think you can happily cover all expenditure apart from the roof over your head for a family of 4 then hats off to ya! I hear this twaddle about people getting nearly as much on the dole as people in work and it's utter drivel - I had to live thru it and it damned near killed me.

Mike, it's not something I've suggested - the discussion point comes from Eggs' post 211.

I do know people that won't take extra hours because of the negative effect on tax credits though and it's a government aspiration to cap benefits at 23k (widely reported) - I struggle to see how that can be considered unreasonable.

It may not be obvious, but I am a very strong believer in the state providing a safety net when needed. Unfortunately, the system that has evolved is abused by too many to the detriment of those that may truly need help.

The system is sick and unsustainable, it sounds like you suffered as a consequence.

Your suggesting that a wealthy bunch of individuals should shaft another bunch of wealthy individuals at the same time taking the care to ensure some poorer individuals don't suffer?

You have the same difficulty spelling you're as I do.:001_rolleyes:

He's been spitting his dummy since Scotch independence thread though Eggs, I throw him a bait once in a while but only when I'm bored..... :thumbup:

He's been spitting his dummy since Scotch independence thread though Eggs, I throw him a bait once in a while but only when I'm bored..... :thumbup:

Haha, I like it Kev, I'm the same! I only take the bait when I'm bored, which is usually after reading one of your posts:-)