Problem with Mazda B2500

combined tree services

just wondering if anyone has had the same or similar problem - jumped into my the Mazda yesterday started the truck and drove off but within 10 yards the truck died (similar to running out or fuel) but the truck has half a tank of fuel , so i tried turning it over and the truck would still not start alto there is still plenty of compression and the cam belt is in one piece so it was left parked up for the day . This morning i went out and it started first time but the engine did knock a bit as it started - all i can guess is that it was caused by exes fuel caused buy turning it over so much yesterday but im still at a loss as to what caused the truck to die like it did yesterday . i have had the truck for 3 years and never had a problem with it before !!!

anyway guys your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated , so far my only thought is that it may be a faulty stop solanoid !!

Many thanks

Dave.

my navara did the same last week

if the truck has a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine you may have dirt there.

I took the main fuel line that goes from filter to the pump , remove banjo bolt then using a piece of wire take the spring out from the pump then inside the fuel pump there may be a small wire gauzefilter. (this is what was blocked on mine) clean filter with airline or carb cleaner , hopefully when all back together truck will be fine.

only other part that sometimes fails is the prime pump on top of the filter housing when truck is run for few ins it draws the fuel through but also sucking the hand prime button down not letting fuel through.

another quick test to check this is get a gallon can of diesel and connect it to the main fuel line after the filter

hope this of some help PM me if you get stuck bloke just down the road from me is a diesel engineer

Dave, I have a ranger which is the same as the B2500..havent really had it long wnough to get any problems yet but what first springs to mind is the immobiliser...

Modern diesels have an imobiliser on the fuel pump alot of the time and when it kicks in it's like running out of fuel... could be a sticky solenoid or something electrical. I would take it to a main dealer and get a diagnostic check which should flag up any problems.

thanks for all of your advice chaps , i will be looking into all of the above tomorrow night after work . it is on an S plate but to be honest its the best thing i have ever bought , for a while it had a ply box on the back for chipping (in which i broke both sets of leaf springs) and for the last 18 months -2 years its been used as a kit carrier for our off road work not to mention towint the timberwolf tw190 through fields oh and sliding down a sloaping field with the chipper last november (that really was nearly the end of the truck and chipper !! oh and me lol ) but all in all i really can fault the truck and i really would be lost without it .

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for all of your advice chaps , i will be looking into all of the above tomorrow night after work . it is on an S plate but to be honest its the best thing i have ever bought , for a while it had a ply box on the back for chipping (in which i broke both sets of leaf springs) and for the last 18 months -2 years its been used as a kit carrier for our off road work not to mention towint the timberwolf tw190 through fields oh and sliding down a sloaping field with the chipper last november (that really was nearly the end of the truck and chipper !! oh and me lol ) but all in all i really can fault the truck and i really would be lost without it .

did you ever get your truck fixed??

did you ever get your truck fixed??

i carried on using it but its still not got its power back and its got really hard to start , normally once i have got it started it misses a bit but eventually runs like it should but is still a bit guttless so yeserday i sent it up the the agricultual fitter that i use and he will have a look tomorrow but im still at a loss as to what it could be , i have changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the fuel lines !

i carried on using it but its still not got its power back and its got really hard to start , normally once i have got it started it misses a bit but eventually runs like it should but is still a bit guttless so yeserday i sent it up the the agricultual fitter that i use and he will have a look tomorrow but im still at a loss as to what it could be , i have changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the fuel lines !

i still think it may have that real small filter inside the fuel pump

i still think it may have that real small filter inside the fuel pump

yeah i was thinking about what you had said about the pump while i was tryig to get it running properly , it seems to be getting starved of fuel so thats alot of the reason i sent it up to the fitter to do and asked him to take the fuel pump appart and give it a good clean just to make sure . im pretty certain its fuel starvation because when i took the main fuel filter off it was not full to the brim and pooring all over my hands like they normally are , but ance fitted with a new filter full of diesel she started like a goodun !!! sad;y i just int got time to be doing the work my self . Oh and to top it all off my subaru went it for a SMALL problem to be sorted which for some reason turnes into a BIG problem and has ended up costing me £756.97 !!!! oh the joy's !!!!!!! and they tell me that mogs can be expensive to run !!

My B2500 has been losing power for about a month then finally it would not rev above 1500rpm. Took it to the local diesel expert and he found that a small piston inside the fuel pump had siezed (water also in filter which i found when fitting new one), he fitted new assembly total £160 which was good news as i was expecting to have to get the pump reconed, did it same day aswell.