Hcc level 2 cert arb

john andrews

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all, I've started the course with HCC recently as well.

To be honest, I've been struggling with motivation quite a lot. I'm about 90 pages into the course. My tutor's recommending I add some diagrams/photos to the assignments to enhance them - can anyone who's done the course already please share their experience as to what they're looking for?

Hand-drawn sketches? Diagrams reproduced from online/textbooks/reference materials (with attribution)?

I'm really doing this course to see if arboriculture is for me - I currently work for an arboricultural consultancy doing mainly CAD work. If this course goes well, I may aim to complete a level 4 course. I'll see.

Ah cool, well good luck! I haven't started any of the assignments yet, I thought I'd read through the lessons and then go back and do the assignments once I understood each subject more.

With the assignments have you actually created a handbook etc?

The motivation isn't too bad for me, but then I work in the field so I'm eager to learn more about the things I do day to day.

Hand-drawn sketches? Diagrams reproduced from online/textbooks/reference materials (with attribution)?

I would imagin all of those would work really well. Scan in pictures as well (as long as they're credited and referenced).

Also photos would be good, you can annotate them in Paint or even Word if you need to.

I'm actually going to start the first assignment this weekend. is there a time limit to complete it in? I've not started yet as had too much else on study wise.

Ah cool, well good luck! I haven't started any of the assignments yet, I thought I'd read through the lessons and then go back and do the assignments once I understood each subject more.

With the assignments have you actually created a handbook etc?

The motivation isn't too bad for me, but then I work in the field so I'm eager to learn more about the things I do day to day.

Thanks! Yes - for the handbooks I've done thus far I've only used Microsoft Word, adding headings, typing up the answers to the questions section by section, breaking down the information as simply as possible, adding in a couple of basic sketches. My tutor's quite keen on diagrams, etc. so have been trying to add what I can. To be fair, he's pretty quick to reply when I've had queries.:thumbup1:

I would imagin all of those would work really well. Scan in pictures as well (as long as they're credited and referenced).

Also photos would be good, you can annotate them in Paint or even Word if you need to.

I'm actually going to start the first assignment this weekend. is there a time limit to complete it in? I've not started yet as had too much else on study wise.

Cheers - that seemed to be what my tutor was saying. Any diagrams from books, magazines, the internet (w/attribution) should be fine.

The first assignment - you mean the soil formation handbook one?

HCC seem pretty relaxed about time limits - I haven't had any email or phone contact with them to say there's any set limit.

I get the impression that each person can go through the course very much at their own pace. That's what I've found so far, anyway!:001_smile:

Hey folks,

So i'm Also working through the HCC level 2. I'm most of the way through the questions for the first section (soil), though it's taken a back seat the last couple weeks (and probably will for the next couple as well!)

Would people be interested in putting a mailing list together for sharing info, asking questions, discussing etc? Anything sorta academic i've done in the past i've always found seeing how others are getting on can smooth out the tough patches and help with the motivation.

If anybody's keen, maybe drop my an email at [email protected] and I'll put a mailing list together and we can all weigh in.

Hey folks,

So i'm Also working through the HCC level 2. I'm most of the way through the questions for the first section (soil), though it's taken a back seat the last couple weeks (and probably will for the next couple as well!)

Would people be interested in putting a mailing list together for sharing info, asking questions, discussing etc? Anything sorta academic i've done in the past i've always found seeing how others are getting on can smooth out the tough patches and help with the motivation.

If anybody's keen, maybe drop my an email at [email protected] and I'll put a mailing list together and we can all weigh in.

Sounds great to me - will drop you an email imminently. Thanks for the suggestion!