Srt top anchor point - question

jrose

Hi all,

I'm slowly getting my head around SRT, so far have just been using a running bowline and then climbing back to anchor point and descending DdRT.

Browsing through old threads on here, I was looking at this anchor point and the description:

"both legs of rope inserted through the ring and alpine tied below. ring enables smooth retrieval. can switch between srt and dbrt simply by removing the alp bfly.dont have to remove hitch system to retrieve."

My question, is it suitable to tie a Bowline or other termination knot with krab inserted instead of the alpine butterfly, so that to switch to dbrt you just have to clip in then remove RW? Or would a Bowline not stand the downwards pressure from the ring when loaded SRT?

Thanks a lot

Joe

1444324655532.jpg.cd68fd449e1328c8838aca4309eb2536.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi joe I don't use that method so can't help ... I'm not fully understanding what is going on in that photo so would be intrigued if your self or any one else could explain it as it looks interesting , links to you tube would be great !

Have you tried the alpine and pulley retrievable system ? That works well for me as long as there is a clear retrieve route with both tales together.

Hi matty

Here is the thread I found it in - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/srt-single-rope-technique/45781-srt-anchors.html

I can see it being useful, but even more so if instead of the butterfly I had a Bowline or fisherman's on a krab, with a throwline clipped into that to the ground. That way, if I wanted to switch to Dbrt I in theory wouldn't even need to strop in, just clip krab to harness and remove wrench.

Alternatively, I could descend SRT and then use throwline to retrieve.

Of course I could be being stupid, hence asking more knowledgeable people on here ;)

Pinto tie off works best for me.Keep it simple and don't get sucked in by all the gear junkies that complicate things.

What a statement, instead of blowing off wind why not take the time to elaborate...or does this complicate things?!

The Pinto anchor is great but can load the karabiner strangely and not being able to manage it, I would say, causes some concern.

I don't recommend loading a bowline that way, why not use the butterfly loop to descend on DdRT?

If you have a ring and ring with big ring not larger than 34mm you can happily knot-block it and keep the retrieving section on the working end. The link you put up is fairly dated now, though there are some good anchors on it.

What a statement, instead of blowing off wind why not take the time to elaborate...or does this complicate things?!

The Pinto anchor is great but can load the karabiner strangely and not being able to manage it, I would say, causes some concern.

I don't recommend loading a bowline that way, why not use the butterfly loop to descend on DdRT?

If you have a ring and ring with big ring not larger than 34mm you can happily knot-block it and keep the retrieving section on the working end. The link you put up is fairly dated now, though there are some good anchors on it.

Maybe so..

As he said he is new to srt so its easy to get sucked into to much info that is out there,best for him is to stick with a simple anchor to get used to climbing with a new technique and adjust to his skill set..IMO

Maybe so..

As he said he is new to srt so its easy to get sucked into to much info that is out there,best for him is to stick with a simple anchor to get used to climbing with a new technique and adjust to his skill set..IMO

I'm with you bro. We decided on our crew to keep it simple. My 2IC is was heavily into his SRT whereas, because I was climbing less, I wasn't. He was trying heaps of new stuff, enjoying experimenting etc and all power to him but then we all realised, if there was an accident, we had no idea what he was doing. We reduced it down to a couple of systems that worked well for him and we knew inside out. Now I'm practicing a little bit more with SRT I want to start on stuff I know with the simplest system.

Do you mean a couple of anchor systems or belay?

SRT as work positioning system hasn't been defined yet, perhaps that is why it feels like a quagmire when looking for clear answers. The German tree care association have put a pro-active ban on non-certified ppe. No clarity for the belay tools too it seems.

SRT...what a crock of **** it is !

Do you mean a couple of anchor systems or belay?

SRT as work positioning system hasn't been defined yet, perhaps that is why it feels like a quagmire when looking for clear answers. The German tree care association have put a pro-active ban on non-certified ppe. No clarity for the belay tools too it seems.

SRT...what a crock of **** it is !

Care to elaborate on the last statement?

I truly am happy to elaborate, I give a lot of time, too much time, to think about this. I have emotional investment underlaying my professional responsibilities because I have been climbing SRT for a long time, perhaps close to 8 years by now, I got verbal abuse when I took my Unicender to tree shows in the UK, seems such a long time ago and where has it got to? Thankfully recognition by many people that stationary rope is incredibly helpful for professional tree workers, the problem is that we thought the solution lay in a device that could move in 2 directions, the multiscender, that this would change an Access system into a Work Positioning one. This was misguided, my opinion, I stand by this. Who can clearly define it? It does need clarity, desperately. It needs tool design to be taken seriously to move forward with ideas but who will invest in this? In a way DdRT never had so much peer pressure as it was growing up and I think that in time SRT may usurp DdRT as it can be something very different, I mean what it offers in terms of safe work positioning, DdRT can't even come close. It is still early days...I totally agree with you and atree, anchoring is best kept simple for beginners but this stinks of non sequitur, I mean, of course keep it simple. As I design system protocol I truly am interested in how you have gone about implementing SRT at your company?