Harness choice for buggered back..

dryadlad

.My chiropractor is pretty good she sorted a friend and my mrs old man , but i am fully aware they can do more bad than good as there are charlatans in all trades.I tried the physiotherapist last time and basicly got dicked around so much thats why i went to a chiropractor.

Haha, fair play mate. My missus introduced me to my physio...............but uses a chiropractor herself????:001_cool:

Betst of luck with the whole harness thing, its a lottery, and i was lucky enough to be able to road test a load at once.:thumbup1:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
yea need to test drive a few, or buy a mewp

hi there... first post. really interesting forum. been climbing since 03 never thought to look for a forum before. should be fun trawling around it re-educating myself for a few days. haven't really kept up with things since the RFS in 02.

as for the MEWP, probably the worst thing you can do for your back. a lot of reaching down over the top rail, even if you spend the extra time on positioning you are going have to reach a bit at some stage.

have had back problems myself from climbing before, used to climb in a Willans T22. Switched over to an Edilrid TreeMagic and problem hasn't come back since. tried the sequoia and found it a little flimsy... work-mate bought one last year, and by the look of it he won't have it this time next year. Butterfly feels pretty similar to the treemagic also.

Found the TreeMotion to be a complete disaster. Pretty cumbersome and expensive. Just an opinion know some climbers who love em. Found the seating position too low.

Personally I think its more about how you wear the harness. If it is too high, the back pad immobilises the lumbar region, which is bad for back problems. Wearing a harness lower across the top of your pelvis allows the back to do what it should be doing, ie supporting your body by itself, and allows freedom of movement.

Sound advice. I think you should keep the back pad no higher than your belt line. I've been climbing in the oft-ridiculed Willans for years and not had any problems yet. If you wear the back pad Simon Cowell-style you're gonna get spine trouble. IMO a harness is not there to support your back, otherwise you'd wear it on the ground too - its there only to hold you in the tree.