Arrowsmith Timber Hobby Kiln

se7enthdevil

hi all, i have the opportunity to buy an Arrowsmith Timber Hobby Kiln and wondered if they are worth it. how much should i pay?

i would use it for boards as well as firewood.

are they any good for a small scale business how long do they take to dry the wood and any other info is appreciated, thanks.

Don't have that make, but all depends on starting mc and desires mc, as well as if its hard or soft wood, and how thick it is. On mine fairly green 1"-2" hardwood boards take about 5-6 weeks to get to mc suitable for doors etc. I can only do 3.5 cu meters at a time (less if you count stickers). Then I need to leave another 2 weeks to allow to settle. I've never dried lower mc than that, but if it's for cabinet making you may need to add a week or 2 more, then allow to settle for longer.

I would say it is most definitely worth it unless you use more timber than that in the 5 weeks or so it takes to dry. I've never stuck firewood in. The space is always too valuable for me, but depending on the size of kiln your thinking of, and how much space you need in it I'd say go for it. For the cost of mine, it paid for itself the first time I used it. Maybe stick firewood in during periods if it's not needed.

the firewood would be just to fill it up if i don't have enough boards but i may start in the firewood trade if it looks like it's worth it.

i won't be using it often but i would like one to have as an option rather than leaving stuff outside all the time.

12-15 would be all i go down to for boards unless you live in the middle of the namib desert.

20% should be ok for firewood as that's all i'd get air drying anyway.

i must grab a log this winter and test what some of my logs are actually at.

Lumps of firewood will spoil the airflow you need to get the boards evenly dried. Good airflow around the boards is key. For cabinet making I woul try and hit 9% max as you would be surprised just how much wood moves from 15% down to about 8 % if someone is putting furniture in a centrall heated house.

Hi its a funny world I have just bought one and the old boy who I got it off was making nice furniture and never had a prob with it the box he had it in was almost as wide as a double garage 4ft tall and wide I do have some speck for it that cornish cough kindly sorted for me if you P M me your email or address I will send you a copy , I just need some selotex to make my box, I paid a100quid for mine , will look out the speck tomorrow while I am in my yard

Cheers Mark

Hi guys sorry forthe delay hear is the info I hwve its not much but hear it is

Load size hardwood 1""=90 cf 2""=180 cu ft

Type high temp dehumidifier max drying temp 45%c

Controls thermometer,thermostat and multi stage timer

Weight 26 kg

Power consumption 450watts internal fans

Water ext 4gallons or 18ltrs a day

Air flow 400- 500 cmf

I left out a few bits of nfo like all plastic dranige but thats all the speck stuff that Kim passed on to me thanks Kim hope its of some use or help

Cheers Mark

500Watts heater intermittent use

Water ext up to 4 gallons or 18ltrs a day