native oaks - id

Paul Cleaver

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bash the Turkey Oak. It's also useful for timber produ.... oh, wait...

It's such a shame, to look at it seems to have such good form for timber production, presumably why it was brought here.

Only real use is as a cut and come again crop as it coppices freely and grows fast. Because it was so dense it was ideal from a cutters point of view when we supplied the pulp mill.

If we didn't have Q Cerris we wouldn't have knopper galls and our native oaks would produce more viable acorns but as an intermediate hose it only needs one every 50km to propagate the wasp.

It's such a shame, to look at it seems to have such good form for timber production, presumably why it was brought here.

Only real use is as a cut and come again crop as it coppices freely and grows fast. Because it was so dense it was ideal from a cutters point of view when we supplied the pulp mill.

If we didn't have Q Cerris we wouldn't have knopper galls and our native oaks would produce more viable acorns but as an intermediate hose it only needs one every 50km to propagate the wasp.

I read somewhere that Turkey Oak was intended to be a timber crop, and was lauded to be "the next best thing". It never was. :lol:

I also recall an account where someone acquired a woodland and bought it at a price that reflected the timber quality. They assumed it was English Oak, but turns out...

...it was Turkey Oak.

Many tears were likely shed that day.

I read somewhere that Turkey Oak was intended to be a timber crop, and was lauded to be "the next best thing". It never was. :lol:

Yes I think so, the king of the belgians established plantations of it south of london.

Similarly the locust was imported from across the pond by a bit of a dellboy called cobbet and sold as a better hardwood to plant than oak.

I suspect both trees do better in their native environment??

Similarly the locust was imported from across the pond by a bit of a dellboy called cobbet and sold as a better hardwood to plant than oak.

'A bit of a delboy'.

One of the greatest and truest englishmen ever 'a bit of a delboy'

Mr openspaceman, if I were wearing glasses, right now I would be looking at you over the top of them.

Hmmm.:laugh1:

Yes I think so, the king of the belgians established plantations of it south of london.

I suspect both trees do better in their native environment??

Indeed they do.

Fun fact on timber production in this country: hardwoods grow best with a fast growth rate, with the ratio of earlywood to latewood being skewed in favour of latewood with regards to such fast growth - the UK's climate is suited to fast growth rates, thereby producing good quality timber will fewer vessels. Conversely, softwoods aren't of any decent value in this country as a timber crop (cedars, in particular) as the fast growth rate favours more earlywood formation, which means more tracheids (and lower quality timber as a result).

(according to Peter Thomas in a talk he did at the Chelsea Physic Gardens).