how much do these cost?

se7enthdevil

i've lifted it out of the box and it does have a recess the other side but both faces are fairly coarse yet the edge is relatively smooth? i've asked the seller how it is meant to be used so will have an answer soon but even if i mount it upright it won't be a problem if it's only going 200-300 rpm will it? i might even have it going slower.

Sounds like its a centre less wheel to be used for grinding cylinders. You should be ok using it at slow speed if its just to sharpen your chisels.

This might help.

Centre less Wheels, Centre less Wheels Grinding, Wheels Grinding, Grinding Wheels, Grinding Wheels Manufacturer, Centre less Wheels Grinding Manufacturer, Centre less Wheels Manufacturer India

Side mounted surface grinder then, so you should be ok to use it on your slow set up, before you use it though just to be safe do a "ring test" by holding it through the centre and gently tapping it with a file handle, if it rings like a bell its ok if it is more of a dull sound then it has some kind of flaw or worse a crack.