Zigzag or lockjack???

TheHungrySquirrel

Never tried a LJ in a tree but the ZZ is very smooth (progressive) and super responsive.

I tried a LJ on a rig at the arb show and once mastered I'm sure it would be an excellent device.

I'm not a fan of having a lever on a device used for work as I'm sure that at some point I would be bound to inadvertently knock the lever resulting in a sudden drop!

I know that the same can happen with a ZZ but the top of the device doesn't protrude like the toggle on the LJ.

Again, this is just my own personal preference and having said all this the build quality of the ART stuff really does seem to be excellent.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose if you were changing from SRT to DDRT in the tree it would have its benefits but I haven't been climbing that long and I'm on DDRT so it's hard for me to comment on that.

I can't think of many work situations where I have been hindered by the zigzag being "captive" on the rope. Midline capability wouldn't be the deciding factor for me personally but I suppose I have adapted my climbing and work methods to suit my preferred set up.

I also have a Hitch Climber which was my previous system before the ZZ. It has very similar characteristics to the zigzag but is midline attachable.

I suppose if you were changing from SRT to DDRT in the tree it would have its benefits but I haven't been climbing that long and I'm on DDRT so it's hard for me to comment on that.

I can't think of many work situations where I have been hindered by the zigzag being "captive" on the rope. Midline capability wouldn't be the deciding factor for me personally but I suppose I have adapted my climbing and work methods to suit my preferred set up.

I also have a Hitch Climber which was my previous system before the ZZ. It has very similar characteristics to the zigzag but is midline attachable.

Thanks for the info, it's looking more like a zz to me now, I have been reading reviews all over the net as well about them.

A quick one for you what size rope are you running on the zz?

I have Yale limelite 11.7. (Very nice) And Marlow Aeris 11mm (self tends very well but it is a little on the bouncy side)

Also, I think (not 100% sure) I remember reading on something, (possibly the box) that Petzl recommend 11.7mm - 13mm. Which would mean that 11mm is too thin and could present issues from a legal point of view , although I know other climbers use it and it's never "crept"when I've used it.

It is well known that 13mm performs very poorly through the Zig Zag being too thick and although conforms to Petzl's recommendations is not very suitable.

Perhaps others on here more knowledgeable than myself could explain this in greater depth.??

Hope this is helpful.

Will, I have both.. You're welcome to try them if we go for a reccy climb. But, here's my opinion of the 2. I started with the LJ and loved it though wasn't keen on descending with it. It's not great, in my opinion, when going above a tie in point. When I got the zigzag I thought I was going to throw the lock jack in the bin! But, alas, it stays in my kit bag when conny bashing and the like. The zigzag seems quite precious at times and like others have said, beware of cross loading and bending when moving around a tight tree. Limb walking with the zigzag is excellent. My choice... Zigzag