Husky T540 brake band problems

TTownsend

That wouldn't solve the problem, if anything, you've created an additional problem of a slippy drum when the brake is applied.

how should i go about it then ? Would like to try and fix it myself as it saves it going to get fixed and increases my knowledge. Ever days a school day and that..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally, I would remove the clutch drum, place it in the middle of the brake band and see if the band is deformed or catching in the area where the band keeps breaking. It is also worth checking the clutch drum bearing is good and there isn't excessive play/wobble on the drum.

It is also worth checking that the brake band is pushing up against all the supports in the cover when it is off - just making sure it isn't constricting a little and rubbing on the drum all the time - the most likely reason for this wear!

The oil is of no consequence, the drum gets oiled from the chain oiler so it is normal for it to be well oiled.

Personally, I would remove the clutch drum, place it in the middle of the brake band and see if the band is deformed or catching in the area where the band keeps breaking. It is also worth checking the clutch drum bearing is good and there isn't excessive play/wobble on the drum.

It is also worth checking that the brake band is pushing up against all the supports in the cover when it is off - just making sure it isn't constricting a little and rubbing on the drum all the time - the most likely reason for this wear!

The oil is of no consequence, the drum gets oiled from the chain oiler so it is normal for it to be well oiled.

i will look into it, hopefully get to the bottom of it and let you know. Thanks for the help its appreciated!

As Spud suggests.

It probably is that the brake band isnt fully disengaging.

I would also check that the locating pin is still in the side case housing, ie the side casing isnt twisting and possibly forcing the brake band against the drum.

Pin is here

[ATTACH]188534[/ATTACH]

okay, i shall check tomorrow. Thanks!

As Spud suggests.

It probably is that the brake band isnt fully disengaging.

I would also check that the locating pin is still in the side case housing, ie the side casing isnt twisting and possibly forcing the brake band against the drum.

Pin is here

[ATTACH]188534[/ATTACH]

Thats the pin I was talking about - hope we are on the way to getting some sort of closure on this one:thumbup:

Thats the pin I was talking about - hope we are on the way to getting some sort of closure on this one:thumbup:

Will be interesting as thats a lot of wear with only two hours use, it is in the place Ive seen a few fail on but they have had a good couple of hundred hours on the clock.

It's in the picture on the 1st post.

You're most likely to find the plastic has warped, the only fix for it is replacement of the plastic casing. I've had saws like this, only homeowner grade, as they are usually the ones with plastic side casings. You're best off contacting the dealer you purchased the saw from

So I fitted a new brake band to the saw last week as it had snapped. Put it all back together fine, started it up today and was all working fine.

2 hours later from when it first started the brkw band had snapped again. Just wondering whats the reason for this happening as it was working fine before it snapped again. Thanks

Just get used to the disappointment and soldier on because this is life with a modern chainsaw.

Many parts are made in the same factory as pet food and just moulded into shapes to fit a chainsaw!

Lol!