Husky still won't start!

Bosun

The 240 has a 1/2 choke position. Off-choke is set after starting when the trigger is activated.

No, you push the choke fully in, that's part throttle! If the saw is flooded, you can try, although not advisable, a full throttle start, if it refuses to fire from that, it's definitely an ignition fault, provided the compression isn't too low (below 130psi), as I have managed to run saws that have lightly seized with flooding them then full throttle starting.

Have you taken the plug out, turned the ignition off and then pulled the saw over fast with the saw upside down - fuel can puddle in the bottom of the saw and make it a bitch to start.

Once this is cleared, get the plug nice and hot, put it in the saw quickly and pull the choke out, push it back in to set the fast idle and pull the saw over fast and hopefully it will go.

If it doesn't fire, you can hold the throttle open with the right hand whilst pulling the recoil with the left - it is a little "redneck" but can get a semi flooded saw going again!

Thats part throttle not half choke .

Apologies for getting the terminology wrong, but this is copied from the 240 operators manual "4. Push in the choke control to the ”1/2 choke” setting as soon as the engine fires which can be heard through a "puff" sound. (22)"

Pulling the choke all the way out does appear to set part throttle, which then returns to low idle when you operate the trigger.

I'm going to check the compression, and try the suggestions above today. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks All.

Just thought I'd let you know how I got on.

Did a dry compression test and got 125psi after 5 pulls. Didn't try a wet test as I thought oil in the cylinder might exacerbate the starting problem later on. Tried ADW's method of starting and it fired-up OK. So why it won't start using Husqvarna's method, or what might actually be amiss, is beyond me.

Thanks for all the help.

Did a dry compression test and got 125psi after 5 pulls. Didn't try a wet test as I thought oil in the cylinder might exacerbate the starting problem later on. Tried ADW's method of starting and it fired-up OK. So why it won't start using Husqvarna's method, or what might actually be amiss, is beyond me.

Thanks for all the help.

Glad its sorted :biggrin:

Thanks for all the help.

You are probably missing the first "pop" of the engine and then flooding it. 125psi is very low but may be down to the gauge you are using!

You say that 125psi is low. I understand that a higher reading would be obtained from a "wet" test. Are the figures quoted above (150-170psi) likely to be from a wet test?

A wet test can up the compression. Basically the fluid seals up the rings against the piston and between the rings and the bore.

On some saws it makes a difference and on some not. It just depends on residue oil and the wear on the engine.

At 125psi, if measured on a Gunson Hi Gauge, I would think that a low reading. If a hefty first pull gives you 70psi or above then that isn't bad and have seen saws make 100psi on the first pull and only 135psi a few pulls later and run perfectly.

It sort of depends on the first pull AND the reading after a number of pulls. Generally a saw will make double the compression of the first pull but it does depend on the design of the engine.