unimog and chipper

john meehan

I would deffo only hire gear out like that if you are supplied with it, there would be no way I would leave it in the hands of someone else.

I would try and hire it out not on an hourly or daily rate but look at and price each job separately. Since it wont be cheap to hire it out they will wont blood if its hired by the hour, day etc.

IMO opinion Yes, and I have said so before. BUT if you need the work then take whats available!

Especially if a climber is going in with riggign gear etc to do work for companies that can't do that kind of thing. I've worked before for tree companies that don't have nay climbers and it is wrong. Sometime you take the money and other times say no.

Thats the reason I stopped subbing myself out. I needed the money at the time but thought how ridiculous it was me doing a job for someone that couldnt even climb let alone use a saw!

Its one thing if someone has a lot of work on and needs 'EXTRA' climbers groundies etc but not when they just manage a tree firm, IMO.

IMO opinion Yes, and I have said so before. BUT if you need the work then take whats available!

Especially if a climber is going in with riggign gear etc to do work for companies that can't do that kind of thing. I've worked before for tree companies that don't have nay climbers and it is wrong. Sometime you take the money and other times say no.

Totally agree!!:001_smile:

But the good climbers may not have the business sense, ability or aren't willing to take the risk of becoming a tree firm. My work is mainly grounds maintenance with about 10 percent of it being tree work so it makes sense for me to hire in a decent climber when I need one. No point having quality climbers cutting grass!!

R

But the good climbers may not have the business sense, ability or aren't willing to take the risk of becoming a tree firm. My work is mainly grounds maintenance with about 10 percent of it being tree work so it makes sense for me to hire in a decent climber when I need one. No point having quality climbers cutting grass!!

R

Indeed.

But personally I don't want grass cutting firms doing tree work.

It's only my opinion, but I prefer to specialize, I only do tree work, NOTHING else.

Thats fair enough, and I am already starting to seperate up the business as it's expanding. The property maintenance side that I ended up going into through a grass cutting client was split two years ago as it became big enough to be completely seperate and more a less runs itself.

The tree work side did grow but has recently declined so depending on what happens I may split the grounds maintenace side and the tree work in two.

I like irons in fires somepeople don't

R

my 660 0n the u 1700 is worth 350 a day,just chipping ,two ground saws and just fuel. thats a flat rate tho not alot of profit just a ball part figure to work with,there is always a gray area ,such as what your chipping and how far you have to travell etc. Hope this helps

Jeez. A u1700 with a chipper and 2 groundmen for £43 an hour? Your WAY too cheap. I charge £55 an hour for 2 men in a pickup....

you would be suprised to hear how many companies down this way dont have a lowering kit and how many climbers dont know how to use one either . i used to regularly work for a guy that could not climb and did not have any kit !! and when i mean he does not have any kit i man that i was supplying all my saws (ms200t - ms880) climbing gear (as expected) lowering kit , chipper , clean up kit and truck . i used to do the work for the guy because i was just starting out but now two years on i have decided that i would rather not have any work rather than provide all the kit to do someone elts work and for them to then have the cheek to tell the customer that he has worked hard to get all of "his own kit" . :w00t::angry: