Best old tractor with high flow rate for splitter ?

arboriculturist

PTO pumps are great, but the pump is just the start - Oil reservoir, breather, filter head and filter, pipework / fittings etc. and fabrication costs.

Can be almost the same cost to buy an old IH tractor, which is what I am looking to do. :thumbup1:

How much can you buy an old tractor for and, if you get one cheap enough, what will you have for your money??

Probably a wreck with a 30 year old pump that wasn't up to the job you want it to do in the first place.

Get a PTO pump, make your own reservoir from an HGV fuel tank, a bit of plumbing and fabrication and away you go.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much can you buy an old tractor for and, if you get one cheap enough, what will you have for your money??

Probably a wreck with a 30 year old pump that wasn't up to the job you want it to do in the first place.

Get a PTO pump, make your own reservoir from an HGV fuel tank, a bit of plumbing and fabrication and away you go.

Totally agree - however short of time and a 2nd tractor ticks the boxes at the moment.

Totally agree - however short of time and a 2nd tractor ticks the boxes at the moment.

It wont tick the boxes because you said you want a bigger pump

I leave you with the wise words of John Ruskin

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When

you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay

too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you

bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do"

It wont tick the boxes because you said you want a bigger pump

I leave you with the wise words of John Ruskin

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When

you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay

too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you

bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do"

That was a bit of wisdom :001_smile:

However if I can pick up a IH for around 1K with a flow rate of 35 l/min i am happy

.....on second thoughts I'll buy an 80l/min PTO pump and hope the internals are robust enough to stand up to running the Processor through it continually.

Source an ' Adjustable flow rate Regulator' to reduce flow rate to splitter when PTO speed at 480 rpm for the Processor and re-adjust 'Regulator' when tractor just running splitter.

Cooling is often recognised as an issue - so thinking 50 litre resevoir or less with oil cooler.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated?

OK so lets get back to basics

You seem concerned with speed so lets look at the existing system and work to its optimal, without having to add oil coolers and the like

You can make a system quick but maxing it out is going to leave you dealing with heat issues

So what size is the ram? Look at the rams fittings, pipe bore, valve block bore among other things. These are the factors that will limit the volume of oil that the system can handle. Too much is worse than not enough

So, in detail, what ya got??

A friend of mine bought a stationary engine/powerpack in a frame, pto shaft comes off the back of that through a speed reduction box. The hydraulics come off the timing cover, its got all its own cooling system, oil reservoir and charging system, he has also fitted it with huge worklights that light up the whole yard . Works brilliantly and no tractor involved.

Bob

OK so lets get back to basics

You seem concerned with speed so lets look at the existing system and work to its optimal, without having to add oil coolers and the like

You can make a system quick but maxing it out is going to leave you dealing with heat issues

So what size is the ram? Look at the rams fittings, pipe bore, valve block bore among other things. These are the factors that will limit the volume of oil that the system can handle. Too much is worse than not enough

So, in detail, what ya got??

It is clear that you are the main authority on hydraulics on the Forum, so I am always pleased when you get time to post.

The present splitter we use is too embarrassing to mention and is soon to be retired.

Therefore I will focus on the replacement - which will be fabricated.

Having used a Price Fallows 3 point linkage freestanding splitter, 11 tonne with 16" stroke - the splitter will be based on that design but uprated with a wider vertical I beam.

A larger ram say 13 - 15 t may be beneficial at times.

Auto return essential and to adjustable height off table as we grade rings for height before splitting.

Cycle time from up to back up 3 -4 seconds, as we only split oversize roundwood that is always straight grain.

The tank can be any size.

Can use 1/2" piping / fittings/ spool to help with cooling.

I still need to be able to run Tractor at 480 Rpm processor and splitter > fast tickover just with splitter.

Any advice would be great. :001_smile: