Kiln dried Firewood - The future ?

arboriculturist

For me Yes 100%!.... But...I wouldn't buy a glenfarrow for a start, from my experience anyone who is selling a 40ft container kiln that isn't insulated is bonkers but I built my eco Angus system for £18,000. Asset finance costs me around £220+vat a month. Before I had the kiln I was only selling around 250-300 cubic metres max a year and selling out by October so had pretty much no trade after that. Until I could get anymore dry that would be the year after. Could never ever get a head of myself. Last winter I sold 1000+ cubic metres and kept my customers supplied with dry wood throughout the winter. We were then too busy and the kiln couldn't keep up with my demand so we built another one. We have been selling as much wood over the last 3 months than we did over a 3 month period in the winter. So that £220+vat of asset Finance may seem like a lot but I have expanded the business 4 fold+ in a year because of it! I can categorically say I wouldn't be where I am now without my kilns. For my business it had been worth it and would have been worth it without the RHI. The RHI has helped as I can now turn up to work with the knowledge that my bills will be paid before I even sell anything. I don't think many businesses would have that same situation.

I've said it a few times a kiln isn't for everyone!

I would be the last to recommend an uninsulated structure and 220 seems very little on finance.

What I am amazed is that you produce enough dry arb waste to dry 1000 tonnes. Most Arb. waste is large thick rings and random lengths of cord, far to thick to air dry even in 12 months ? :confused1:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why thank you ! Unfortunately solar didn't work for our business model so I didn't explore it in too much detail.

If I were a firewood merchant (purchasing more than 500 tonnes of cord wood pa ) I would act NOW and put in a Farm 2000 boiler (now have RHI compliance on wood and straw as a fuel) on medium tariff or a GF205 boiler on the medium tariff. My preference would be the Farm 2000 but the GF205 is also an option. The window of opportunity to act is small and the ROI is better and more certain than anything else out there.

GF Glen farrow?

Why thank you ! Unfortunately solar didn't work for our business model so I didn't explore it in too much detail.

If I were a firewood merchant (purchasing more than 500 tonnes of cord wood pa ) I would act NOW and put in a Farm 2000 boiler (now have RHI compliance on wood and straw as a fuel) on medium tariff or a GF205 boiler on the medium tariff. My preference would be the Farm 2000 but the GF205 is also an option. The window of opportunity to act is small and the ROI is better and more certain than anything else out there.

Hi, thought u were against a Glen farrow?

I have one and it's doing well

My mate in next village is putting in 4 next month with drying floor

I think his are the 205 ones

I spoke to 'Farm 2000' about 3 months ago - decent knowledgeable people.

That window is closing fast as you say, but with Solar Thermal I could open another.

One or 2 on the Forum have been shrewd enough and employed energy conservation efficiency to make it work. Drying timescales will vary of course but the possibilities are there.

Hi, thought u were against a Glen farrow?

I have one and it's doing well

My mate in next village is putting in 4 next month with drying floor

I think his are the 205 ones

The dispute with GF has been settled (I cannot comment any further). I am trying to be desperately fair here.

In terms of what GF promise and offer THE FIREWOOD MERCHANT the boiler is an option. It is cheaper than Farm 2000. It will not perform as well as the Farm 2000 and does not have the flexibility of straw as fuel. It will also use more fuel per kw generated. If cash does not permit a Farm 2000 and you are realistic about fuel useage then GF is your only option and given the ROI and benefits that a kiln will bring I would by a GF205 with little hesitation.

The dispute with GF has been settled (I cannot comment any further). I am trying to be desperately fair here.

In terms of what GF promise and offer THE FIREWOOD MERCHANT the boiler is an option. It is cheaper than Farm 2000. It will not perform as well as the Farm 2000 and does not have the flexibility of straw as fuel. It will also use more fuel per kw generated. If cash does not permit a Farm 2000 and you are realistic about fuel useage then GF is your only option and given the ROI and benefits that a kiln will bring I would by a GF205 with little hesitation.

Knowledgeable and honest

Thank u