Kiln dried Firewood - The future ?

arboriculturist

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are selling a quality product - good or bad - the average customer does not care how it is produced, just look at milk, poultry etc etc etc.

Those who kiln dry have a healthy competitive edge at the moment, which has to be accepted.

Those who don't, perhaps need to get better at what they do, to narrow the gap. :thumbup1:

WTF?

Your logs are better than mine because you kiln dry, absolute bull!!!

Just because they have been in a kiln for a few days, doesn't make them any better than a fully seasoned air dried log.

20% moisture is 20% moisture, regardless of how it got there.

WTF?

Your logs are better than mine because you kiln dry, absolute bull!!!

Just because they have been in a kiln for a few days, doesn't make them any better than a fully seasoned air dried log.

20% moisture is 20% moisture, regardless of how it got there.

My post may have been misinterpreted -

I am suggesting that those who kiln dry have an advantage because of the RHI, nothing else. I am not in that catagory

My post may have been misinterpreted -

I am suggesting that those who kiln dry have an advantage because of the RHI, nothing else. I am not in that catagory

We also have an advantage because I can dry it in 7 days. Also situations like a customer ringing 2 weeks ago for 50 cubic metres of biomass fuel for his boiler cut to 500mm and dried to under 25% and needed it quick. Processed it and is coming out of the kiln tomorrow. It will be with him by Tuesday. Less than 3 week turn around for 50 cubic metres. It's a massive boost for income in July!! He will be looking for 200-250 cubic metres a year. That's a massive order I wouldn't have if I didn't have a kiln. You can react to things quickly, if you're air drying it you can't. Simple as that

We also have an advantage because I can dry it in 7 days. Also situations like a customer ringing 2 weeks ago for 50 cubic metres of biomass fuel for his boiler cut to 500mm and dried to under 25% and needed it quick. Processed it and is coming out of the kiln tomorrow. It will be with him by Tuesday. Less than 3 week turn around for 50 cubic metres. It's a massive boost for income in July!! He will be looking for 200-250 cubic metres a year. That's a massive order I wouldn't have if I didn't have a kiln. You can react to things quickly, if you're air drying it you can't. Simple as that

I could of had that out the same day, or next day at worst.

Its called being organised.

Most merchants that take a living from firewood are organised and can react to demand quickly.

Economies of scale: those who have the resources, business nuance, etc to be in a position to hold stock can react to demand practically overnight, just like they have always done.

Those who are unable to meet these criteria have a flawed business model.

Never be in a position where you a forced to turn away business - one of the golden rules of running a successfull enterprise.

However, having a kiln makes life easier for some I am led to believe.:001_cool:

I could of had that out the same day, or next day at worst.

Its called being organised.

Most merchants that take a living from firewood are organised and can react to demand quickly.

So you have 50 cubic metres cut to 500mm, split big and dried to under 25% in the middle for a customer that wants it in 3-4 weeks? And another 50 cubic metres every month after that for the next 4 months? What about if another customer also asks for the same or similar? Do you stock the same again too?