quad bikes for towing a chipper

Johny Walker

I use a Yamaha Kodiak 400 petrol to tow a Jenson round a wood, trails are flat but rabbit holes and ditches can be a problem, get a high lift jack and some waffle boards and your sorted. The waffle boards are also useful under the tyres when chipping to stop the wheels sinking with the vibrations.

Never tried it on the road though as have 4x4's available.

59766d890f777_WaffleBoards3.jpg.422febcab6be99c7c2808b74ed48d4c7.jpg

59766d890e4f6_WaffleBoards2.jpg.514ad9b1021651555871a2d0ff948546.jpg

59766d890c074_QuadSide.jpg.df748e3ff87cfdd0ed6e6a7db25abda4.jpg

We used a big red 350cc to tow a Jensen a530 round a woodland before. The main draw back we found was that with the chipper hitched on the ball hitch it caused the rear of the quad to sit low at the back and was prone to bottoming out. This was before we had a tracked machine but it did work to some degree, we did the job in the winter when the wood was like a marsh so that didn't help, I'm sure if we went back in there now it would be more successful. I don't know a massive amount about quads but I would say that a 350cc is a minimum and ideally a 4wd depending on the chipper you are pulling about

The main problem/design fault I found with using a quad was that the hitch would bury itself in the deck, this is probably due to the fact we had a 750kg chipper on the back and it's not really rated for that, do you get that issue sussex groundie?

Hi Jay, not really had any probs grounding out the ball hitch as the ground is flat but do wish it was higher for another reason. I keep grounding out the bottom of the tow bar and getting jockey wheel stuck when crossing ditches, there are a lot criss crossing in the wood, also a shorter tow bar would be better for getting in and out of the trees.

I should really get a compact tractor or small old scrap 4x4 but make do with this set up as its available. It's really designed to live on the back of a transit.

as above

is there a perticular make that is better for towing ,ie a road tow chipper

how do the diesels compare with the petrol versions,in towing ability ??

cheers

I thought u once said that doing that was old fashioned and get with the times????