Whats a load?

Tom D

I have a Coventry Climax 4wd forklift with new bucket, power hitch and log grab. Cost £3500 plus VAT all in. Will go anywhere.

Processors with stand alone power sources will be more economical to run. Even a three phase processor with generator will use less fuel, as well as make for a more pleasant work environment.

Fair point on worst case scenario on cord costs. I think that is sensible.

Barnsley Bob: Firewood is not £100 a cube on the continent:

https://www.brennstoffe-vulcano.de/brennholz/23/eichenholz-30-33-cm-3-2-schuettraummeter-2-raummeter-auf-palette?c=6

A supplier not far from my uncle, £38 a cube on oak.

It's a broader point that I'm trying to make really. There are issues in the UK with supply for the firewood market, there are issues with the customers and there are issues with the demand. Everything is too much based on boom or bust. We overcharge when there is demand which means no one buys firewood when demand drops. With some form of accountable pricing structure, a bit of regulation and increases in overall efficiency, I think that firewood retailers could make more money whilst reducing the cost to the end user. The Tesco model, if you will! :laugh1:

Thanks for those thoughts - I don't welcome additional legislation but the affordability issues is one of the best views I have heard this year - i'll take all I can from that. I plan to keep prices static for several years by increasing efficiency. The good old value for money still counts for a lot with many.:thumbup1:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that link is for 2 cube 169 euro or €84.5 per cube so not that far off the €100 there's the guy on youtube running 2 posch processors doing 32tons a day that kind of volume you can probably make good money at these prices he still stacks them up for 6-12 months though.

Lack of production capacity is not an excuse for charging more though. For instance, I know that amongst the sawmills at my level in Scotland, that I am the cheapest on softwood. By some considerable margin - I charge near enough the same as going to one of the big, softwood only mills. I could charge £420 for a cubic metre of larch like some of my competitors, because in some respects I can justify it. I am a small outfit, I have high costs (rented premises, leased vehicles, some financed machinery) but these are my issues. I find I make more money charging less per unit (£245 for through sawn larch/other softwood and £300 for dimensioned) and directly competing with the big boys than if I decided that I was a niche supplier and charged more. It's still easy enough to turn over £800-1000 a day on the cheapest softwoods with me and one labourer. I am ruthlessly efficient at my yard though, and you will never find a tidier or more organised small sawyard. Through efficiency comes productivity and productivity is the basis of profit. That's the half German coming out in me though! :lol:

Have you got a link to that guy? :thumbup1:

[ame]

[/ame] thats the german version there is a translated one somewhere too it's more about his bags than the processing though once you get past the wheels.

1.5m3 nets but think he needs to change his trailer for a crane.

FWIW, a large area low height delivery vessel will look like it holds a lot more than a small area high sided one, even though the opposite is the case. As in the transit tipper example I gave earlier. Andy who works for me sells logs in his own time, he used to have a little trailer that was maybe 1.2 x 1 x 1,(1.2 cube) that one broke so he got another which was about 1.8 x 1.4 x 0.4, (1.08 cube). All his customers were delighted with the new "load" as it was much bigger, it really did look bigger too!

I don't know if he has any pictures of the two, but the difference was striking.

thats the german version there is a translated one somewhere too it's more about his bags than the processing though once you get past the wheels.

1.5m3 nets but think he needs to change his trailer for a crane.

Very good video. Extremely interesting, and whilst I could understand the narrator fine, the Austrian accent of Herr Wittman is challenging!

Their B quality firewood (which will be equivalent to our best stuff) is about £42 a cubic metre plus delivery. If you were to order 6 bags (8.4 cube) within 50km, it works out at £47 a cube.

I will happily concede that they have a far better supply of hardwood in Austria, but the raw material cost (assuming it's similar to Germany) is higher.

Sg baker do bags that size.

I've prices somewhere.

I easily got a potato box worth, 1.7 cube in them.

They were surprisingly stable when filled with logs

were they vented though they gave us a sample before but it was the solid sided potato bags