Anyone used a small ratchet "pull winch"?

Big T

Hiya!

I quite often have small stumps to pull out, at present I'm borrowing my mates tirfor winch. Been looking at the small ratchet pull winches, 2000kg pull for about £30! They dont have the capacity to pull as far as a tirfor but wondered if they are any good for pulling small stumps? The lack of length of pull could be overcome by re-slinging the stump when you run out of pull, if that makes sence?

Thanks mate! It ain't no tirfor but a hell of alot cheaper and seeing as I only take on small jobs (where the wonga is!) then might be an option for me!:)

Not as cheap as a small capstan, like the flip flop winch made using two poles, fiddly but useful in an emergency.

I use a four ton one quite often, good for making sure a tree falls exactly where you want it by getting the wipwap to crank on, as I do the back cut. Good for pulling out trees that are hung up from a distance when on difficult ground. Rest of the time I use my loverly little 1 ton capstan winch for dragging stuff about.

A tirfor copy rated at 1600kg . Most copys are as good as an original or very nearly . I find the 1600kg rated hand winch will do most everday arb stuff . Conifer stumps with a sharp axe / mattock and this winch will come out ...... still you will have to part with some sweat :thumbup: