TPOs - are they important?

Kveldssanger

I just find the idea that without TPOs and tree officers all trees would be felled in towns in months to be ridiculous.

My experience here is very different, people plant trees in their gardens the same as anywhere.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's what he wrote Gary.

:biggrin: Too early on a sunday morning for deep thinking. I think Jules may have woken a little tired and cynical about the industry this morning. With four hundred views, only five votes and a handful of posters - I wonder why?

I'm off to the favourite weather girls thread:biggrin:

I just find the idea that without TPOs and tree officers all trees would be felled in towns in months to be ridiculous.

I'd have to disagree. Maybe not in months, but there would certainly be a continued decline in numbers. Jules is talking about tree management, including retaining trees. I'm seeing risk adverse school managers advocating wholesale tree removal or 50% reductions!, just one example. We are simply not responsible enough to maintain and improve the tree population - so yes, we need to be made to do it.

Sure, I better mow the lawn, I'm not looking to create issues on this thread, I like Jules's posts, and the others on this thread, a lot of brains and knowledge about this game and the law.

I do think that as someone who has had to operate with TPOs and then moved to a place where they don't exist I could offer another viewpoint.

Sure, I better mow the lawn, I'm not looking to create issues on this thread, I like Jules's posts, and the others on this thread, a lot of brains and knowledge about this game and the law.

I do think that as someone who has had to operate with TPOs and then moved to a place where they don't exist I could offer another viewpoint.

Maybe available land mass and population density changes perspectives on trees

As Charles Mynors said in his talk, we're all much closer in the UK (in terms of actual population density), so trees cause more issues as they block more light, get in the way more, can't grow to large sizes, etc. I imagine in places like France and Spain, people are more tolerant of trees simply because they are less densely populated.

I'm Ireland it's a rarity to find a tree with a TPO, especially privately owned. However to find up if a tree has a TPO, seems like a quest. The person with the answer is either out sick or on leave. No colleague can check!!

I like the theory, in that it is to help preserve trees of merit or value. But I do feel it can be utilised where it can become a huge headache for the landowner. I think one process that could certainly help is making the process easier to navigate, but also giving the tree owner more control. I think the councils hold too much authority at present.

On the other foot I do feel it is grossly unfair, when legislation exists where anyone can TPO another parties tree; but yet there's no mirror legislation to deal with high hedges or neighbouring trees (in conflict).

I think if we had a better system in place to deal with such issues, maybe the "tree" issue would be less.

One thing for sure, we are certainly not planting the right trees in the right places.

I see Irish planning as a joke, allowing structures right up beside ancient trees and then vast green areas.

Maybe available land mass and population density changes perspectives on trees

Definitely! If TPos didn't exist, we'd have to invent them. They have saved many a tree from whimsical short term decisions, allowing the tres to provide their benefits for decades more, for the public subsequent owners of properties.

What weather girls thread? Maybe that's what i need to cheer me up today. I like a good occluded front on a sunday morning.