Just bought a 6x3 meter polytunnel off ebay to store softwood nets

kindlett

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really need commercial tunnels and polythene. Thicker tube and uv inhibiter in the poly. Working in nursery maintenance I have contacts that supply good quality if anyone needs poly or hoops.

Looking for a different plastic cover. Have always used LBS in Colne but have suffered from the plastic splitting where it has been folded to long on the roll. Have two tunnels to redo this year a 25mtr x 8 mtr and a 40 mtr x 8 mtr. Clear for the first one and UV selective opaque on the second.

Looking for a different plastic cover. Have always used LBS in Colne but have suffered from the plastic splitting where it has been folded to long on the roll. Have two tunnels to redo this year a 25mtr x 8 mtr and a 40 mtr x 8 mtr. Clear for the first one and UV selective opaque on the second.

Had some trouble with visqueen some years ago but as you say main cause of splitting along the seam is too long on the roll. Try XL I rate theirs better than visqueen. I presume you spotted their number on the previous page. Sizes you mentioned are presumably the tunnel footprint so you need to measure over the hoop. I am sure you know how much to allow for battening or clipping. Wish I only had two to do. Last count it was about 10 but that could easily change.

Had some trouble with visqueen some years ago but as you say main cause of splitting along the seam is too long on the roll. Try XL I rate theirs better than visqueen. I presume you spotted their number on the previous page. Sizes you mentioned are presumably the tunnel footprint so you need to measure over the hoop. I am sure you know how much to allow for battening or clipping. Wish I only had two to do. Last count it was about 10 but that could easily change.

Actually have 4 to do but have decided to replace 2 with corrugated tin instead of plastic so I can install solar.Dont envy you having to do 10. Normally try to do 1 per year but last winter did an awful lot of damage. I am sure the old visqueen lasted longer than this new stuff. The tunnels are very exposed so it has to be good quality.

Does any one use the skin you see over garden centres it lets the light through but has a sort of reinforcement in it. Bit thicker than the normal stuff may be not ideal for growing stuff but ideal for logs.

I dont think you mean glasshouse thermal screen shading. It has silver strips about 6 mm wide with gaps depending on the shading % required. All joined with cotton like threads.

You can get reinforced polythene for tunnel vents. Rovero tunnels roll up roofs (roll air) use a strong reinforced polythene.

Actually have 4 to do but have decided to replace 2 with corrugated tin instead of plastic so I can install solar.Dont envy you having to do 10. Normally try to do 1 per year but last winter did an awful lot of damage. I am sure the old visqueen lasted longer than this new stuff. The tunnels are very exposed so it has to be good quality.

Are you replacing with tin on the basis that the tin will heat up the interior?

Surely you then loose all the solar gain from sunlight.

Are you replacing with tin on the basis that the tin will heat up the interior?

Surely you then loose all the solar gain from sunlight.

Where putting tin on two field shelters replacing the green mushroom plastic already on the tunnels. We have 1 solar tunnel to replace which will be clear plastic and a growing tunnel which will be opaque.

Does any one use the skin you see over garden centres it lets the light through but has a sort of reinforcement in it. Bit thicker than the normal stuff may be not ideal for growing stuff but ideal for logs.

Its rubbish. It degrades within a couple of years as its not UV stabilized then splits along the threads. It lasted about 3 years on our exposed site we normally get 5-7 years from the normal visqueen we use.

The plastic sheet used on lorry curtainsides is very good but difficult to keep under tension.

Edited by renewablejohn