Wide cutting manual bandsaw mills

Big J

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a heavier frame than the alaskan, then mount a suitably sized hydraulic motor on one end, attached to bar and chain. Way more power than 2 88's if its specced right, no fumes, and you could run if from any tractor or hydraulic power pack.......

If your budget is 8k you can afford to play around with this idea a fair bit and still save a lot..

Make a heavier frame than the alaskan, then mount a suitably sized hydraulic motor on one end, attached to bar and chain. Way more power than 2 88's if its specced right, no fumes, and you could run if from any tractor or hydraulic power pack.......

If your budget is 8k you can afford to play around with this idea a fair bit and still save a lot..

One of the main reasons for getting away from chains and chainsaws is that they are pretty frail once you start pumping a lot of HP through them and adding the complication of rip cutting. That and the 10mm kerf and the vast amount of sawdust.

It's an idea I had toyed with seriously, but I need a bandmill really.

Don't refrain from posting! I spoke to Mebor out of curiosity a couple of months ago, but they are all out of my price range at the moment. What would be useful is to find a Eurozone manufacturer of wide cutting manual mills, but they are harder to find.

I have no desire to build my own mill. All my time is spent cutting timber - I don't have time (or the skills) to build something as complicated as a band mill.

what sort of price is one like the one in the video then?

I can see where you're coming from, if you're just looking to plonk a log on a mill and do wide waney boards with no messing about, then £10k all in is pretty amazing for a 4ft cut. Do the Hud-Son, Logmaster and Turner use a cheap narrow band, or are they on a wide band that needs a lot of doctoring?

Having said that, £10k goes a long way towards getting someone else to cut the occasional batch of big timber for many years. (That's not the point though is it ;) )

I spotted a Mebor today, I might have to go and ask nicely for a quick look.

Cheap, narrow bands. I'd probably spec 45-50mm - Woodmizer do really good Silvertip blades for my Logmaster at about £32+VAT and delivery.

There aren't really any large cutting mills around here. Market niche I suppose. That and it would only take 4 large logs sold off the saw to cover the cost of the saw purchase.

You tempted?

Having looked into a few mills recently, one of the companies who looked interesting were the one you suggested looking at, trak-met in Poland. Mills look great and their basic mill is €3500 plus €650 to increase cutting head to 1200mm. Only reason I didn't buy from them is a massive issue for me, their mills are 3phase electric only, and I don't have that. But if you do they could be a bargain.

Having looked into a few mills recently, one of the companies who looked interesting were the one you suggested looking at, trak-met in Poland. Mills look great and their basic mill is €3500 plus €650 to increase cutting head to 1200mm. Only reason I didn't buy from them is a massive issue for me, their mills are 3phase electric only, and I don't have that. But if you do they could be a bargain.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've seen their mills on eBay, but didn't realise that they did a larger version. I have sent an email :D

Here's the price list they sent me last week. Out of all the companies I have been emailing about a mill in the last few months I have to say they rank with the best at response time, maybe the quickest, and in perfect English.

I just don't understand why they made their mobile mill 3 phase, with no petrol/diesel model available.

Anyway, there's plenty of options with the standard 600. Fully hydraulic and with 1200 mm wide head, that's £7K plus haulage. reviewers seem happy with their products, but I wonder if it's a bit too good to be true?

mobilne Anglia.xls