Woodland purchase help please

Think its probably too wee to get a grant on.

The plot I've agreed on has enough room for house and a decent sized workshop/garage which like most of us I'm desperate for. The extra bit gives scope for a few ideas, with almost all the trees retained.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Varying prices across the UK so not totally sure on scotland, the north of england it seems to be pretty fair to say 10k per acre or there or there about. As I say not sure on scotland and prices do vary here some are about 8k per acre.

Thanks mate.

Ouch. At 30k I think he was having a laugh, or expecting you to build another house on it.

The local land prices are largely irrelevant. The buyer and seller are well aware of the real value of this plot is what it adds to your property.

As long as the asking price doesn't exceed the additional amount it adds then you should be pleased. On the face of it, getting an adjoining acre (with potential) for £30k sounds like a decent deal but a quick drive by valuation from your local estate agent will confirm.

On land prices, the average farmland prices in 2014 (England) was £10,200 per acre which obviously encompasses all regional variations. We are most definitely on the wrong side of the average. Last month we had a 10 acre lot sell for just under £22k / acre at auction (arable use only - no speculation). Previous local 'record' was £18k / acre. Anything with even the remotest hint of building in the next 20 years is bringing approx 60k / acre. Anything with planning is now over £300k per acre.

When we bought a 12 acre forest in Scotland we paid £2000 per acre but that was six years ago. Be aware that the local planners do not like anything being built in anything resembling woodland - they know very well that people would love to buy it cheap then get planning permission for a house and multiply their money by 1000% - it just doesn't happen. We were allowed a wooden store under PD rules and a caravan which has to be technically moved off site and then back on once a year but anything more - even though we run a forestry business there - forget it. Where you are, I'd be looking at 1k - 2k per acre tops plus goodwill. If you're in doubt put in an application for outline planning permission before you make an offer. Get the seller to sign a MOU before you do agreeing the principle of no sale until the process is complete.

They will probably look at the building plot and decide it was part of the woodland if it abuts it - we offered to clear part of ours so we had an 'open' area to build on - no trees, problem solved? no joy - they knew what we were trying. If it's had a single tree on in the past then they may starting saying why hasn't it been replanted as per FCS rules? It's still a woodland, but with no trees.

Everyone we spoke to before we purchased was telling us - 'yeah mate - they'll let you build a house here if you're running a business'. They won't. Money doesn't come that easily! Believe me - we and our solicitors looked for every trick and loophole we could. Planners are king and only take them on if you have deep pockets.

Better still - just ask for a meeting on site with your local planners and see what your options are.

Edited by TTS North
Clarity

Ouch. Friend bought an empty field of 3 acres for about 6 grand extra just last year. At 30k I think he was having a laugh, or expecting you to build another house on it. There is no other access to this piece as it is surrounded by growing Christmas trees, so it's not suitable to sell to another builder.

Goes to show how prices vary in different parts of the country.

There is a 2 1/3 acre woodland for sale not too far from me with an asking price of £45k.

There are also 2 garden building plots local to me both have an asking price of £150k. One of them is on such a steep slope it will cost whoever buys it a fortune just to get the building out of the ground.

Goes to show how prices vary in different parts of the country.

There is a 2 1/3 acre woodland for sale not too far from me with an asking price of £45k.

There are also 2 garden building plots local to me both have an asking price of £150k. One of them is on such a steep slope it will cost whoever buys it a fortune just to get the building out of the ground.

Hi EGGS SAME here 😩mate thanks Jon 👍

The local land prices are largely irrelevant. The buyer and seller are well aware of the real value of this plot is what it adds to your property.

As long as the asking price doesn't exceed the additional amount it adds then you should be pleased. On the face of it, getting an adjoining acre (with potential) for £30k sounds like a decent deal but a quick drive by valuation from your local estate agent will confirm.

On land prices, the average farmland prices in 2014 (England) was £10,200 per acre which obviously encompasses all regional variations. We are most definitely on the wrong side of the average. Last month we had a 10 acre lot sell for just under £22k / acre at auction (arable use only - no speculation). Previous local 'record' was £18k / acre. Anything with even the remotest hint of building in the next 20 years is bringing approx 60k / acre. Anything with planning is now over £300k per acre.

Hi marko I've seen it here £20k acre not tied to someone's house a farmer bought it then there are some building land towards bath million pounds thanks John

Ouch. Friend bought an empty field of 3 acres for about 6 grand extra just last year. At 30k I think he was having a laugh, or expecting you to build another house on it. There is no other access to this piece as it is surrounded by growing Christmas trees, so it's not suitable to sell to another builder.

HI JIM that would cost £30k acre that more like here thanks jon :thumbup:

When we bought a 12 acre forest in Scotland we paid £2000 per acre but that was six years ago. Be aware that the local planners do not like anything being built in anything resembling woodland - they know very well that people would love to buy it cheap then get planning permission for a house

Better still - just ask for a meeting on site with your local planners and see what your options are.

There was a property in there many years back in the extra area we want. The bit we have already agreed on had outline planning agreed in 2010 but had lapsed. Power, water and phone all present.. We were thinking of putting a small wooden chalet in the extra part. Leaving it surrounded by trees.

Thanks for the price detail. Going to work on a suitably worded email today.