Stihl 1106 thread (contra, 070 & 090)

Eddy_t

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok thanks I've seen some of those for sale, on the starter recoils are they all the same size I've noticed both have different de-compressors on the cylinder head

The one on your 090av looks strange, is it a normal one someone has bodged?

• 3 months later...

My old man has had one dumped at the back of the shed where its been for years. I fired her up about 10 years ago and she started no problem. (Bar bloody noisy).

Ive just brought a alaskan mill, I have a ms880, 066 (both rarely used) and ms660 am i best off using the 090?

Ill post pictures tomorrow!

My old man has had one dumped at the back of the shed where its been for years. I fired her up about 10 years ago and she started no problem. (Bar bloody noisy).

Ive just brought a alaskan mill, I have a ms880, 066 (both rarely used) and ms660 am i best off using the 090?

Ill post pictures tomorrow!

It depends.

I like an 066 for smaller stuff, up to about 15"-18" probably, as the drop in milling speed is negligible and the fuel consumption is much less.

Anything bigger and the 088 or 090 come into play. To get the most out of a slow revs/high torque saw you have to take the rakers down a fair bit so it chews out lumps rather than dust. This means that an ideally set up 090 on a mill will be faster than the 088 but only by fiddling around with it far more than on a higher revs saw where you don't take the rakers down anything like as much. The 090 will keep on pulling with any length bar you care to give it, so is excellent on big or hard stuff.

Another consideration is whether it is the AV or not, and whether you use a winch or not, as the 088 will definitely be better on the vibrations than an 090.

I use an 090AV with AV gloves. I don't mill every day and I have not had a problem. It's also very satisfying, the way it rumbles on relentlessly. I also like the self-choking feature for avoiding lean seizure.

Alec

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I'm new here and new with old saws. Recently I get two 070 AV. One is runner other is not running ( well i've been told so, never try to start it as a spark plug is missing and also fuel pipe line from tank and some linkage from carb). Previous owner said that the first one was flooded during flood and they don't bother to try that one if is still running but rather buy the second one. And kept that flooded one for spare parts. Now I thinking to rebuild that one but not as 070 but rather as a 090 AV as I want to use them both for milling. But I'm not sure if the casing is suitable for that. I will try to upload some photos, so You may be able to help me.

Cheers Lukas.

Stihl 070 AV Story by Tatras86 | Photobucket

So today I checked the chassis number under the fan 1106 021 0710.

That isn't the chassis number. That's a part number. A lot of the parts for the 070 and 090G saws start with "1106" which is the series number for these saws.

For example, "1106 120 1610" is an air filter for a Stihl 070 saw.

More information on series numbers on this website:

Casey Wise | projects and web archive/sandbox