New way to tie the Apline Butterlfy Knot?

knot rigger

Just to let you know where I'm coming from, I'm not an arborist, I'm an acrobatic rigger in las Vegas. I have a professional interest in knots, I work with them every day, as you do. On top of that, I admit it, I'm something of a knot nerd.

I've posted this method of the butterfly a few different places, and so far, you fellas are the only ones who have seen it before. Arborists it the UK. If anyone can tell me more about how common this method is in youre community, I would appreciate it. If any can tell me where it originates, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Adam, I love your story about impressing your dad with this method, I relate. I love collecting new and better ways of tying knots, and impressing others with them is certainly one very real motivation! Thanks for sharing, and letting me know that this method is know at least as far back as 98.

Cheers

Andy

Pictures of your work would be good.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures of your work would be good.

eggrascal: In addition to the video in the original post? Is the video not clear?

Perhaps you have some knots you can share with us that we had not thought of using?

sure:

most theatre rigging is borrowed from other fields, primarily and historically sailing rigging, but also sport climbing, rope's access, search and rescue, arborist etc... but there are a few things that I've never seen or heard of outside of theatre and circus rigging

1) the circus hitch, a knot tied in wire rope. check this link:

http://tinyurl.com/ocaqayr

2) locking a block in fall with a "bite", which ashley called "slip tackle knot" (ABOK 219) very popular with circus folk, and largely unseen outside of the circus in my experience

The Ashley Book of Knots - Clifford Warren Ashley - Google Books

other, borrowed from other fields, knots that could be useful to arborists could be:

pursell prussic

munter hitch

apline clutch or garda knot

zeplin bend

sorry there's no links, but i'm sure you can find them with google :)

and, lastly, it's not a knot, but "span set" makes a fantastic ratchet strap that let's you click to release, breaking tension one click at a time, rather than all at once.

SpanSet -ABS?

cheers

andy

The Pursell Prussic is a handy one. I have used it before to make a quick adjustable tether. The alpine clutch is probably too risky to adopt for commercial tree climbing but may have some use in rigging small limbs. The Zeppelin bend is a favourite of mine.

Those span sets look useful. Would be good for strapping roundwood to a trailer.

Thanks for sharing.

Could be really useful for a vertical rope under load, thanks.

I just tried this outside. Maximum load I could hold with right hand while tying with left hand was about 5kg. So it's OK for tying the knot in a rope that's hanging below you but tht's about it. And better than the hand-wrapping version. For fully loaded rope I'd still use a prussik loop to establish a midline attachment point.

What are the benefits of it over the alpine?

Not sure I would use that over an alpine butterfly without good reason.

I'm hoping that Ewan sees this as hes the one that showed me!

Doesn't bind up as much under load as an alpine if I remember and I'm sure that there were other benefits!