Growth stages of trees?

Fredward

Great thanks guys, I haven't had a chance to read the information above yet, glad to know I'm not the only one who found the subject difficult.

The word ontogeny came up in my various searches, does that accurately describe what I'm looking for? Its not a term I've heard in my studies thus far.

I think I may be complicating the answer to the question, I have spoken to my tutor and he referred me to 'Trees: Their Natural History' but he wasn't certain if it held the answers to what I was searching for.

I think I may pick a specific species local to NZ and try and explain what happens during the life cycle, although I think I have too many gaps, the above post about root systems, I hadn't even considered this.

Unfortunately I don't have long to do this and I'm busy with work, I just want to do it right and understand it properly!

Trees: Their Natural History deals with this in a few paragraphs at pages 207 and 208. Not a lot of detail. If you haven't got acces to the book let me know and I will scan the relevant bit for you. Strictly for study, I don't want to get into copyright issues.

Just looked at the preview of this, looks promising!

And thanks for the offer of scanning pages in Natural History, but I have an e-copy from my institutions library :001_smile:

I think the preview has all the useful bits, probably not worth paying for the full article.

I think the preview has all the useful bits, probably not worth paying for the full article.

I managed to get the full paper through signing up to researchgate via my institution, it's not much longer but I think it's going to be helpful, thanks again :thumbup1: