RCW 3001 at work

RC0

Thanks all.

Adam I think it's about 15-17 feet or something.

Sam, the Harken the best winch out there, hence the cost.

Advantages....well you can take ours off at any time and not worry about it getting damaged. Same as it can be installed at any time even under a suspended load. You do make good progress with the Stein because the gear ratio is much less....but obviously you can't lift or pull as much on a singled line. The truth is I would never expect a GRCS owner to replace that device with a 3001. But for someone who doesn't own either it's a solid but very affordable option .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all.

Adam I think it's about 15-17 feet or

That's a decent sized length mate. Obviously I'm referring to the line ;)

I suppose it's wise not to over due the length you place it up the line.

One more question.

I take it your still able to cut the bollard into the tree without interfering with the winch placement?

Thanks again reg :)

That's a decent sized length mate. Obviously I'm referring to the line ;)

I suppose it's wise not to over due the length you place it up the line.

One more question.

I take it your still able to cut the bollard into the tree without interfering with the winch placement?

Thanks again reg :)

Yeah it cuts in fine Adam. I don't usually, personally, because it still my job to explore if and what happens. At the very least we should've retightened the ratchet for the big logs at the end, but we didn't and it was fine.

Ti, it's the same one mate. Thanks.

Good video. Nice to see the cautious approach being taken. Those glass panels would be expensive to replace! The first big lump to come off did make me flinch a bit, but all was clearly under control. The winch looks like a nice affordable piece of kit. I am not sure I would want to trust the prussic on the winch when trying to raise heavier limbs or spars though. I also think a tether for the winch locking pin might be a good idea as I can see it getting lost.

Good video. Nice to see the cautious approach being taken. Those glass panels would be expensive to replace! The first big lump to come off did make me flinch a bit, but all was clearly under control. The winch looks like a nice affordable piece of kit. I am not sure I would want to trust the prussic on the winch when trying to raise heavier limbs or spars though. I also think a tether for the winch locking pin might be a good idea as I can see it getting lost.

The friction hitch is fine....so long as it's not all glazed or oversized. A 6 wrap VT for instance is good for 3000lb plus without slipping. So long as you always tend the slack on the bollard, there's really not much to worry about. Thanks.

Ben, the key to raising horizontal limbs is to keep them attached at the stump, by a hinge or sling or whatever means.....that way you're only needing to produce a portion of the force because the limb is being held at the other end. I used load meter to simulate a dead lift, and it's good for 1500lb as it's designed for. At 1200 and above its obviously more comfortable to use 2 hands to crank the lever, but it's not too much of a struggle with one either. We could have gone for the 2500 winch, but it was a lot slower, and you got to have somewhere to lay these huge limbs down also. 1500 I thought was a little more realistic.

Edit: I'll obviously look out for the situation you asked about, and video if I can set it up. Cheers

Edited by RC0

Cool thanks mate I appreciate what you're saying about the methods in hand. It sure would be a handy asset for our truck. The amount of work I get close over houses/targets/wires is unreal. We always get by but would be nice to use MA.

We have a MASDAAM but to set that up on a tree for a rigging situation and have the guys use it just isn't feasible. The RCW however, I think even they could grasp! lol.