Does this apply to you?

Andy Collins

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without sounding argumentative, if there were a traffic accident and road signage had been placed out. If that signage was placed correctly then IMO there would be no grounds for prosecution even if the placee wasn't qualified.

verry true , i felt the same untill i had to do both courses, should the road sign be half on the pavement if the carrage way is narrow ?? what is the minimun lead in taper ?? what is the minimum sideways saftey clearence , what size cones and signs are to be used on which speed limmit road etc etc there is much much more to TM than placing a few signs and coes out as im sure you know i still have to refer to the manual from time to time . but trust me if there were a traffic acident they will leave no stone un turned . i was on a job on the M5 working in the central reservation with a crash cushion and 4 sign boards behid us for protection when a loory driver lost concentration and plowed into a small car in lane one resulting in a fatality . we were not allowed to leave site and it felt like we were all suspects.

Gents,

The pure and simple fact of the matter is the 1.2m from kerbside rule...

If you are working within 1.2m of the kerbside (ie, on the footpath, within 1.2m of the road), you are classed as being "on highway", and are therefore bound by law to fully comply with ALL relevant highway regs, including NRSW certs of competency in installing signs and cones.

Failure to comply can even result in points on your driving licence!!!!

(Chapter 8 is a bit defunct now (as it is merely a guideline), since the intro of the NRSW certs of competency.)

Gents,

The pure and simple fact of the matter is the 1.2m from kerbside rule...

If you are working within 1.2m of the kerbside (ie, on the footpath, within 1.2m of the road), you are classed as being "on highway", and are therefore bound by law to fully comply with ALL relevant highway regs, including NRSW certs of competency in installing signs and cones.

Failure to comply can even result in points on your driving licence!!!!

(Chapter 8 is a bit defunct now (as it is merely a guideline), since the intro of the NRSW certs of competency.)

also there is now a new revised edition to street works as from jan this year if i remember correctly , but as and has said it really is plain and simple , my example above is probably a bit further on as we were working on a motorway

how long ago did oyu take them andy ? have you ever sat a refresher ?? i took mine 18 months ago and will be siting a refresher within the next 6 months altho i think you need to sit a refresher every 3 years , but that is only a guess . i can have a look at work tomorrow if you like and let you know

I hate to say it, but it also comes back to the HASW act too....

You obviously have an obligation to protect your workers, therefore must provide them "where practicable" with relevant protection to ensure their safety...

Arse covering would therefore imply that you do all you can to protect them from possible traffic collision..... hence why high-viz ballistics and t-shirts are becoming more and more widespread.

A strategically placed "Tree Cutting" sign, is unfortunately not good enough these days.

It doesn't matter what tickets you have, if you put signage out wrong and there's an accident as a result, you will be prosecuted or sued.....simples :001_smile:

but surely having the ticket is better

and hopefully you should know how to set them out properly then

and ................

wher is huck i recon my tenner is safe