felling bar cuts

cerneARB

Do you mean a split level cut? I was showed this in my nptc but have never found a practical use for it, as there has always been an easier alternative.

A split level cut is well worth knowing about, it was created to be used in situations such as felling a tree with a opposite lean of the intended direction of fell. It wont work if the lean is really significant but allows you a bigger chance because you can insert a wedge or a felling bar half way through the cut stopping the tree falling back on you.

It really works well in a windy day, when the wind is against you. Its wised to fully understand which cut works best for different situations.

Jack-arb

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was told yesturday that it is called a cushion cut because they used to actually put a cushion in it. where you would put your bar or wedge you would put in a little deflated cushion. then it attached to the saw exhaust and then you would rev the saw to pump up the cushion pushing the tree over. dont know if any of you guy have ever seen this i was just told it.

Can tell your all climbers and not wood cutters. Without a felling bar life in the woods is seriously hindered. As for split level it is the best way to get over a leaning trees taught on cs31.

Husky cusion was a small pad with a connection to the exaust for felling leaners, never really caught on due to pressures required to fell trees.

Have found various modifications to this cut that I belive are more efficient but only you can tell me if im right!!

• 2 years later...
Wedges were not on the list when I redid CS31 last year. Only a felling lever, intersetingly we were encouraged to do conventional felling cut & Leaning dog tooth fell, and then explain the split level to the asseor by the instructor on the course.

And that would be GOOD advice, as its a whole load easier to get a dogs tooth right, and the tree, when it falls if far more likely to hit the ground (unless the tree wasn't forward leaning, in which case you done the wrong cut foooool, and you deserve to fail----er, I mean you are not yet competent )

Anyway. Wedging trees over is not part of the 31 assessment, but I don't think it hurts to drop a little wedging in on 31 training. It dosn't ALL have to be simply about passing an assessment.

And that would be GOOD advice, as its a whole load easier to get a dogs tooth right, and the tree, when it falls if far more likely to hit the ground (unless the tree wasn't forward leaning, in which case you done the wrong cut foooool, and you deserve to fail----er, I mean you are not yet competent )

Anyway. Wedging trees over is not part of the 31 assessment, but I don't think it hurts to drop a little wedging in on 31 training. It dosn't ALL have to be simply about passing an assessment.

I passed my CS30/31 2 weeks ago and we were using wedges a lot as an aid in training. Not using them to ultimately fell the tree as a felling bar was the prefered method.

I used a wedge on the assessment when I did a Pie cut, the examiner said he was glad I used it as it showed that people have the knowledge to use one to their advantage.