what is sweet chestnut like

skidzy

Sorry for the previous derail skidzy :blushing:

I don't know what I was on about last night doubting the species. The load I had was definitely sweet chestnut. I cut off an air dried sample and it's 580 kg m3. This fits with this guide Sweet Chestnut - Associated Timber Services Limited that's lighter than some room dried (10%) douglas fir which comes in at 612kgm3. With most wood being about the same calorific value per kg it's safe to say sweet chestnut is nothing special. There is a good reason it can be bought for £10-£15 less per tonne than typical hardwoods for burning.

Lovely to process

Slow to dry

Not the same caliber as ash, beech and oak

Our sweet chestnut must be different to your there's an old SC grove next to our old house it's all dead every now and then a bow will drop been dead ages hits the deck at22% mc and still heavy as sin. I split it for mum and although it gets drier it don't seem to get lighter. Mum has to be the fussiest person I know when it comes to firewood and she never complains about it.

All the guys I no who have been selling it kiln dried have had great feedback about it :confused1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our sweet chestnut must be different to your there's an old SC grove next to our old house it's all dead every now and then a bow will drop been dead ages hits the deck at22% mc and still heavy as sin. I split it for mum and although it gets drier it don't seem to get lighter. Mum has to be the fussiest person I know when it comes to firewood and she never complains about it.

All the guys I no who have been selling it kiln dried have had great feedback about it :confused1:

Not doubting that it varies Mike. My douglas sample is distinctly heavier than average so no two trees are the same.

Got one customer who loves it but not let them have the good stuff yet :lol:

On the other hand my best customer who has £1500 worth a year asked me never to bring any of that "yellow stuff again". Only put 1/2 cube in a 2 cube load but he really noticed the difference.

Not doubting that it varies Mike. My douglas sample is distinctly heavier than average so no two trees are the same.

Got one customer who loves it but not let them have the good stuff yet :lol:

On the other hand my best customer who has £1500 worth a year asked me never to bring any of that "yellow stuff again". Only put 1/2 cube in a 2 cube load but he really noticed the difference.

Beau :thumbup: yep we had some birch this year prob 4 ton mixed in with some beech. It was dry when split real dry now. I gave our mechanic a bag with 80% beech 20% birch he could not get the birch to burn I just thought he was having a laugh. Tried the bloody stuff and it won't burn even when put on at peak temperature it smoulders away.

But unlike beech and oak (and ash to a certain extent) it will regenerate from a coppice, meaning turnaround times from nothing to usable firewood is much less then the others.

Something that's often not considered when people talk about the best firewoods! We burn probably 80% sweet chestnut, currently burning the offcuts that I get from pointing posts. Lovely stuff.

Was it the stuff Jonny Lawrence brought from Maristow? It was definately sweet chestnut, Nozzy cut it..

Used to call it poor mans oak but it's nicer to process as you say. Takes so long to dry though, does your head in.

What you say about DF is right too; I've got some that is bone dry and some that is soaking from the same stack; what the hell.

I hear you're buying some beech from Walker?!

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Was it the stuff Jonny Lawrence brought from Maristow? It was definately sweet chestnut, Nozzy cut it..

Used to call it poor mans oak but it's nicer to process as you say. Takes so long to dry though, does your head in.

What you say about DF is right too; I've got some that is bone dry and some that is soaking from the same stack; what the hell.

I hear you're buying some beech from Walker?!

Yep still selling your load of chestnut.

It's beech I am getting is it? No one tells me anything :lol:

Love beech so suits me fine.

Yep still selling your load of chestnut.

It's beech I am getting is it? No one tells me anything :lol:

Love beech so suits me fine.

Rumours spread faster than facts lol!

Mostly beech; did he say it was processor size? If so it will have alder in it too; I can show you the timber or tell you where it is if you want to have a quick peek!