planning conditions on unprotected trees

jose

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doing controversial work on a Sunday morning to avoid possible confrontation with planning enforcement doesn't build good relationships between TO's and contractors does it?

It's not illegal but it is unprofessional imo.

Its only controversial in the eyes of the LA Matt.

The trees haven't reached the state where they provide such eco/enviromental/social value that they're deemed as worthy of protection overnight. So why aren't they already protected?

It gets me, when I'm told that the council have protected everything worthy of protection - then they turn up and say that tree you're planning on felling is worthy of an order. They don't make efforts prior to the event and then complain after- or worse during:sneaky2:

Ninja felling is 100% legal - subject to felling licence constrictions, but I agree it doesn't do you any favours with the LA. The contractor should have a fair idea what the council would find agreeable and advise accordingly, going through the proper channels - but, at the end of the day he's working for the client and has to work in their best interests.

It's a difficult task, ethically and morally, and the TO's and Planning Officers have to acknowlege some level of fault in the situation. We all drive around our own areas and have eyes, we can all see building potential and good trees on the sites - if councils were a bit more vigorous in their duty to protect trees - the situation would be a lot less frequent.

I'm well aware of the current time and financial restraints in LAs, but have seen this for the last thirty years and think that apathy in some councils is or has been a major issue.:vroam:

I always have a little snicker to myself when I hear tree contractors (usually the younger ones) saying "I have a very good relationship with the TO" as if that would affect the TO's decision making process with regards to work on a tree.

He will (or should) decide on a fell or reduce or whatever based on his training not on any chumminess or regard for an individual.

To be be fair those I have come across have always behaved in that way.

I think the relationship should be based on a level of trust and respect - both ways, that enables discussion and simply eases the process. I've been told by one TO that he doesn't bother inspecting my 5 day notices, if I think it requires felling urgently that's good enough. I, on the other hand, wouldn't abuse that trust as it wouldn't be worthwhile in the long run.

I never take a refusal personally, we're on opposite sides of the fence sometimes - him protecting trees and us wanting to remove them (because the client does). We should know what is reasonable to expect, but be able to discuss alternatives to retention -all with the goal of achieving or improving sustainable canopy cover over the long term - its called management and is a long term process.

• 4 months later...

If a tree officer is asked to come out on sight because someone has asked them too! Because s contractor is removing some trees I didn't think they could put an order there and then? It's not exactly fair if your playing by the rules! I have a similar job coming up and we know as soon as I start the saw the next door neighbour is gonna go wild, as I'm removing 8 fir trees so they can lay and widen a new large driveway! It will be a bugger if half way through the job the TO comes and puts an order on the rest of em 😡

Gob the lot strate away and them no longer worth protection, remember that job we did like that near Selby way when about 8 of us were set poised with saws and at 8am all hell broke loos as everything was simultaneously felled before anyone knew what was going on...

Gob the lot strate away and them no longer worth protection, remember that job we did like that near Selby way when about 8 of us were set poised with saws and at 8am all hell broke loos as everything was simultaneously felled before anyone knew what was going on...

Yeah I was planning on marking the ones coming down with a x using the saw!!

• 1 month later...

Rather going for DIY you can contact a tree care service near you as It is very dangerous and hazardous to cut such kind of trees. And individuals dont have proper knowledge of the instrumrnts used. But yes if you have done such task earlier the you can go for it. :thumbup1: