Lawnmower Choice?

hiluxstihl

I run the Turf master and on second season ,hates wet grass ,hates cutting low on uneven lawn's but on a lovely dry even lawn That's not mossy it pisses over lawns in minutes but gearbox is lazy on mossy lawns .

It does a lovely finish though so I pick and choose my jobs has it saves a few hours a week .

It is a heavy mower and well built with a good Kawasaki engine ,I am in the process of making new spaces to lower blades too stop it grounding out on uneven lawns when cutting low .

I have put a few pics on here too.

Has said there are a domestic and commercial units .

Don't expect it to have the same effect has a Honda with the wind .

I think it was designed for the American market in dry states .

Ste

That's interesting I'd not heard anything bad about one yet, do you think it's worth having all in all?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting I'd not heard anything bad about one yet, do you think it's worth having all in all?

Like I say it does save time me has a one man band and only use it on 5 jobs or ten times a month but the time it knocks off yes .

Its not a bad mower at all just wrong side of the Fish Pond .

I reckon when I drop the blades a wee bit it will solve problems with uneven lawns and help the lazy gearbox not havin too drag it arse touching the floor all the time .

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

I have a pic on landscape section Toro Turf master .

Ste

Sorry can I just ask what the mulching is like on it please mate as I'm seriously thinking of getting one but I would like to mulch as I try and mulch from mid July to late August as it helps the grass keep the moisture in.

Sorry can I just ask what the mulching is like on it please mate as I'm seriously thinking of getting one but I would like to mulch as I try and mulch from mid July to late August as it helps the grass keep the moisture in.

Hi ,I am not a big fan of mulching mowers has again I think they work better in drier climates and grass which is much Coarser and not has wet/moisture content has we have here .

Tried it once but has I cut from a fortnightly basis it does not work well has you need to cut weekly for mulching to work properly without leaving clumps of cut grass here and there .

I have fitted spacers on the blades yesterday so will give it a trial run today.

Ste

I've been using a z-master commercial for about 6 years now. Very good built quality I think, nice to operate -like sitting on a lawn chair-. They really don't like uneven lawns or slopes. For the rest a good machine. Since we don't use it that much I have a petrol with Kawasaki engine.

Mulching is brilliant, but as said above, it is no good for fortnightly cuts on most grass types.

Of course, it depends on the finish you desire. A homeowner wanting a perfect lawn with no grass residue in sight can easily achieve that with the right machine, but will have to cut maybe twice a week in peak growth season.

If its just a case of cutting the grass with an average finish, and if a little residue is acceptable then you can cut less frequently.

Mulching mowers also vary considerably in their ability to mulch the grass. Generally the American ones such as Toro are pretty poor, being designed for their grass, whereas the Scandinavian designed Stiga is by far the best for our grass types. The JD JS63V is also very good.

Mulching is often judged wrongly, merely because someone has seen the result of an incorrect machine wrongly used.

Mulching is brilliant, but as said above, it is no good for fortnightly cuts on most grass types.

Of course, it depends on the finish you desire. A homeowner wanting a perfect lawn with no grass residue in sight can easily achieve that with the right machine, but will have to cut maybe twice a week in peak growth season.

If its just a case of cutting the grass with an average finish, and if a little residue is acceptable then you can cut less frequently.

Mulching mowers also vary considerably in their ability to mulch the grass. Generally the American ones such as Toro are pretty poor, being designed for their grass, whereas the Scandinavian designed Stiga is by far the best for our grass types. The JD JS63V is also very good.

Mulching is often judged wrongly, merely because someone has seen the result of an incorrect machine wrongly used.

Totally agree with you there .

Has said I think Toro turf master was designed and more practical for the Yank market.

Ste

If the sun manages to break through this crappy smog/fog today and dries up I will do a little working video of said Toro .

I will dig mulching plug and side shoot out too .

Ste