Right vehicle for job ?

cordwood

I think each vehicle has its place, I have done quite a few jobs where a mog wouldn't have got and then others I wished I had a mog

Take downs on the edges of private woodland where I have reversed the defender 8 or 9 hundred metres through tight gaps in trees, up bankings under low branches etc.

It doesn't bear thinking about turning up in a transit and having to cart all your equipment nearly 1 kilometer and then leaving someone with the rest of it just in case it goes missing.

I think for an all rounder the defender takes some beating

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your business sounds very similar to mine Cordwood - more tree work in the autumn and winter, then in the spring and summer tons of grass to cut and Leylandii hedges to trim. I've even got the muddy yard problem (which to be honest I think a lot of tree surgeons have!).

I find that my Nissan Cabstar serves me well, it's definitely a better quality truck than the Transit or dreaded LDV! and being mid-engined the weight of the truck when unladen is spread more evenly over the 4 wheels and so doesn't get stuck in the mud as easily as some other trucks. The down side with Cabstars is the lack of room in the cab - you could fit more gear in the footwell of a small car.

I sub contract 2 part timers throughout the year and am currently on the look out for a cheap and cheerful Toyota Hilux 4x4 (or similar) as a second truck so that I can start getting 2 jobs on the go at the same time - so if any one has got one for sale in Cornwall for around the 2 grand mark get in touch!

The only problem with Defender tippers are that they are like gold dust to find and they cost a small fortune compared to other trucks.

Tell me about it, I want one! I have a 110 with shuttered sides, great motor but where do you put chippings!:scared: I am thinking of converting it .£2500 + VAT. Its a cheaper option than buying a tipper.

You've not met mr ed then?

I love mine and would not want to be without it,but if someone buys one and thinks there going to save loads of money there in for a shock imo.

Ho ho ho...

Mine was like an old landrover - an endless amount of small breakdowns. Mine was 1700 with a 230hp engine.

I just prefer trucks at the end of the day, but I can see why a mog suits certain people. But forget thinking your going to save money.

Tell me about it, I want one! I have a 110 with shuttered sides, great motor but where do you put chippings!:scared: I am thinking of converting it .£2500 + VAT. Its a cheaper option than buying a tipper.

Be carefull doing that, Make sure before you start that your 110 has a gross weight of 3500kg and not 3050kg. that 450kg makes a hell of a differance to payload.

Defenders are ok but if I was solely working on the tarmac/paved areas I'd have a small truck, be it isuzu or mitsubishi. Defenders have lots of drawbacks including the small cab. But they come into their own towing and off road. I'm not a fan of mogs. They look fun but I think I'd soon fall out with one if I had it on a daily basis!

Only problem I have with my defender 130 is pulling away at junctions which are slight uphill, when fully loaded and the chipper. I have to knock it into low box to get moving then snatch back into high box.

I have just put a new 300tdi engine in with a brand new injector pump and it is still no different.

Is this a common thing with 300tdi,s ?

its the ratio of your transfer box! it probably has a 1.2:1 or 1.4:1 one in it, it would want a 1.6:1 one fitting.

how fast dose it do at top speed?

Did you buy it straight from the utility company? It may be worth checking know one has swapped the transfer gears for discovery ones? But from the scenario you describe above I don't think its unacceptable to have o use lowbox to pull away uphill witha full chip box and chipper in tow.