mobile milling

jbtreeservice

• 2 weeks later...

Having had a phone call from someone in this thread "enquiring" as to my daily rates claiming to be a prospective client,I mused about how much I charge in comparison to others,what value do you attribute to decades of experience working in this field and knowing your limitations. I then started thinking about the costs of machines and there capabilities in relation to other machines and whether that justifies any increments,because most punters,(sorry,clients) are not fully aware of the differences and just look at the bottom line, all I know is that my daily rate has risen by40% in twenty years,but replacement cost of same machine has gone up by 130%......maybe I am still not charging enough........

Having had a phone call from someone in this thread "enquiring" as to my daily rates claiming to be a prospective client,I mused about how much I charge in comparison to others,what value do you attribute to decades of experience working in this field and knowing your limitations. I then started thinking about the costs of machines and there capabilities in relation to other machines and whether that justifies any increments,because most punters,(sorry,clients) are not fully aware of the differences and just look at the bottom line, all I know is that my daily rate has risen by40% in twenty years,but replacement cost of same machine has gone up by 130%......maybe I am still not charging enough........

Quite right.

Day rate has to be commensurate with output. I charge a tonnage rate on timber I contract cut in my yard. I'm more expensive per cube than larger mills down south, but they can churn out 2000 cube in a day, and I'm lucky to do 250.

Quite right.

Day rate has to be commensurate with output. I charge a tonnage rate on timber I contract cut in my yard. I'm more expensive per cube than larger mills down south, but they can churn out 2000 cube in a day, and I'm lucky to do 250.

I charge an hourly rate in the yard plus blades with estimate given,I did have a bit of an issue recently when resawing old timbers......having been reassured that all metal had been removed..... 44 nail remants and 1 drill bit later😓.....

I don't like hourly rates at the yard, as it goes a lot quicker with labour helping. Had about 320 hoppus of mostly Corsican pine, Douglas, Larch and Cherry through the mill in 10 hours - all 24 logs pressure washed first. That's about as fast I can go really. I do have crap, underset bands at the moment though, so could perhaps have done 400 hf with new blades.