Guide bar problem

fundamentals

Quick question.

Bought an old 020 a couple of years ago second hand and have decided to change the bar as it looked pretty old when i got it and is now well worn.

Its the first time i have needed to buy a guide bar and struggling to find one:confused1:

its 13inches and i cant seem to find a 13in bar for 020

They all seem to be 12" or 14". Seen some 13" bars for other saws but have a different number of drive links than the chains i got (current chains are 50DL)

I dont mind going down to 12" if it makes life easier but do like the longer bar and have just bought a new chain today for it and also would it mean changing the sprocket if i went down to 12"?

Shouldn't need a new drive sprocket but have a look to see how worn it is .. If second hand., then you've used it for abit., it depends more on the wear n tear., if teeth look pretty low., a replacement is a good idea.

Going to a 12" is a good too as it will give a slightly cleaner/quicker cut. The longer the bar the more the saw has to cope with. 12" is the most sort after size on an 020. Most will agree but mainly goes down to preference

Edited by Drew87

Quick question.

Bought an old 020 a couple of years ago second hand and have decided to change the bar as it looked pretty old when i got it and is now well worn.

Its the first time i have needed to buy a guide bar and struggling to find one:confused1:

its 13inches and i cant seem to find a 13in bar for 020

They all seem to be 12" or 14". Seen some 13" bars for other saws but have a different number of drive links than the chains i got (current chains are 50DL)

I dont mind going down to 12" if it makes life easier but do like the longer bar and have just bought a new chain today for it and also would it mean changing the sprocket if i went down to 12"?

Those 14" bars really are 13" bars, so the problem doesn't really exist! :wink:

Hi thanks for replies

Sorry for my slow reply been out all eve.

I measured while on the saw still and measured from the base by the felling dog teeth and measured to the end of the bar. Measured 13"

Nothing on the bar i am afraid as its is rather old and battered.

Tried a new chain today and same problem so def the bar causing the cut to bend!

Hi thanks for replies

Sorry for my slow reply been out all eve.

I measured while on the saw still and measured from the base by the felling dog teeth and measured to the end of the bar. Measured 13"

Nothing on the bar i am afraid as its is rather old and battered.

Tried a new chain today and same problem so def the bar causing the cut to bend!

Sounds like the bar rails are splayed - you will also find in certain positions, the saw will be revving flat out but will not cut until the saw is moved a little.

The rails can be hammered shut but a new bar will be a better solution.

Sounds like you need a 14" bar to me and that you have probably come to this conclusion.