Woodland Overheads

Morning

There is some woodland for sale near me, about 5 acres, (in Scotland) that I am thinking of buying.

I was wondering if you need to pay rates to the local authority if you own woodland and

what kind of insurance you guys and girls take out, fire, third party liability etc etc

any info appredciated

cheers

Archie

I have 10 acres and don't have to pay the Council any rates etc. I have a public liability insurance which covers, (trespassers even though it is a private wood with no footpaths), fallen trees onto the road or damage to the farmers fields either side on the wood, and it also cover me and my Sons to use chainsaws etc. Friends and family are covered to come into the wood as well

Woodland is the best way to park spare cash imho. Not only is it good for your head but the overheads are nil compared to property which is taxed via council tax etc etc etc - go for it!

Curiously, since I bought my woods, the price has risen much higher than houses locally, there seems to be a strong demand for amenity woodland.

Regarding woodland trees falling onto roads, it was my understanding that the law is if the tree failure could have been foreseen (previously uprooted, cracks, rotten, etc) then the owner can be held liable for any damage/accident caused. If there was no indication that the tree was about to fail then you cannot be held liable. How does the addition of woodland insurance affect this?

It's basically rectangular shape with 1 side having a new fence - 1 side fence intact but needing some tlc - 1 side bordering a marsh area which no livestock ever apper to be in and the last side bordering a B class road. So I Would probably go with insurance for peace of mind. Auction tomorrow see how it goes. Thanks again.

It's basically rectangular shape with 1 side having a new fence - 1 side fence intact but needing some tlc - 1 side bordering a marsh area which no livestock ever apper to be in and the last side bordering a B class road. So I Would probably go with insurance for peace of mind. Auction tomorrow see how it goes. Thanks again.

Good luck go for it.

I want to find some woodland.

But i got about 13 acres of land