Amazing fing I lernt today

the village idiot

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evening all. Thought I would start a thread which can be a repository of wonder.

If someone tells you, or you read something mind blowing post it up here for us all to try and wrap our brains around:)

I've had my head in the heavens this evening and learnt a bit about neutron stars. These form when a star collapses in on itself and are incredibly dense. A thimble full of neutron star matter would weigh in the region of 100 million tons!!!!!!!

Thats a tad lumpy, a bag of them on the back of a transit would just about qualify for the overloaded thread.

Bob

If you take all the molecules in a teaspoon of water and lined them up end to end in a single file line, they would stretch a staggering ~30 billion miles

That's a great one Mr. Sloth! Just the sort of thing I hoped would get posted. Totally impossible to comprehend, but awe inspiring at the same time.

I was reading about the Great Pyramids before Christmas. Some of the figures regarding the largest pyramid are pretty staggering.

It stands at 455 ft high and the stone blocks weigh between 25 and 80 tonnes each! There is an estimated 2.3 million blocks in the construction, some transported from over 500 miles away.

Quite amazingly, the average gap between these hand hewn, hand hoisted 80 tonne blocks of stone is 0.5mm!!

With all our modern techniques and lifting equipment we would find building one of these pyramids a monumental challenge, but the pyramid described above was constructed over 4000 years ago!!

Incredible!